Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamilou
Level 7

Conditional access

Hello,

I was wondering what would be the best way to implement a conditional access to a Roku Channel ?
I was thinking about a username/password combination but then users might share it (unless I link the profile to a Roku MacAddress or IP address ?)

Anyone who would like to share his thoughts ?

PS : sorry about the english, I use French canadian every day.

Thank you
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RokuMarkn
Level 7

Re: Conditional access

The obvious answer would be to make it a paid channel. But if that isn't appropriate, you need to explain in more detail what you're trying to do, how you plan to authorize and de-authorize users, etc.

--Mark
0 Kudos
jamilou
Level 7

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
The obvious answer would be to make it a paid channel. But if that isn't appropriate, you need to explain in more detail what you're trying to do, how you plan to authorize and de-authorize users, etc.

--Mark

Thank you Mark for your reply.
I will publish it as a private channel. I have no idea for now how to authorize it or de-authorize it. I just want it to have conditionnal access like Netflix (create a username and password and give it to users ).
An example of a use case would be something like : User will click on the channel and he'll get (only the first time) a page where he has to input a username and password that I provided beforehand.
But still, how would I be sure he's not sharing his credentials ?
0 Kudos
Komag
Level 9

I'm not sure how it's done, but it sounds like you would have to maintain a server database to check individual credentials and IP addresses and concurrent logins, etc
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 8

See https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc ... nd+Linking for one such idea.
It conveniently passes the buck to an external entity, a web server. Problem solved! :twisted:
0 Kudos
jamilou
Level 7

"EnTerr" wrote:
See https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc ... nd+Linking for one such idea.
It conveniently passes the buck to an external entity, a web server. Problem solved! :twisted:

Thank you very much !
0 Kudos