Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wshirley
Binge Watcher

Computing sha256 hash on an empty string

I'm trying to connect to an Amazon S3 bucket using a "Get" command.  The Get has no payload, so Amazon requires a header with a SHA256 hash on an empty string.  I've tried the following code (and several variations on the theme), but I always get an empty value instead of the hash value, which should be "e3b0c44298fc1c149afbf4c8996fb92427ae41e4649b934ca495991b7852b855".
This is the code I'm using:
ba = CreateObject("roByteArray")
ba.FromAsciiString("")
digest = CreateObject("roEVPDigest")
digest.Setup("sha256")
Hash = digest.Process(ba)

Is there a way to return the hash of an empty string, or must I simply hard code the Amazon provided value into the header?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Computing sha256 hash on an empty string

If it's always going to require the hash of an empty string, then the value will always be the same, so what real difference does it make for you if you simply hardcode it?
0 Kudos
wshirley
Binge Watcher

Not a huge difference.

Trying to maintain better programming practice and hard coding numbers in my view generally is not good practice.

I would rather have a generic function that I can pass any value to, but I suppose I can hardcode it there.  Thx.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

You can still have a generic function to pass a value to.  Something like
Function ComputeHash(input As String) As String
If input<>""
ba = CreateObject("roByteArray")
ba.FromAsciiString(input)
digest = CreateObject("roEVPDigest")
digest.Setup("sha256")
Result = digest.Process(ba)