Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Command line Editing in Console?

"EnTerr" wrote:
Why don't you do the simple experiment of printing all results (foreach), instead of the 1st only? That may shed some light.

It gives me the primary network IP and the two IP addresses for the VMWare network adapters, so perhaps it is luck. Incidentally, that particular line of code also came from the same stackoverflow thread (see the last post in that thread).
"EnTerr" wrote:
He cannot reproduce your unique circumstances (i.e. make P-B not discover) and just staring at the code so far did not lead to agreement.

What it did lead to is pinpointing that the issue is with identifying the correct network interface to use. Whether the method I'm using is the ideal way or not, it appears not, but it is WOMM certified... 😛
"EnTerr" wrote:
Let's not forget P-B is a gift horse though, shan't stare too long in its UPnP mouth.

It is indeed.. and I acknowledged that with my thanks in my first post. As a developer myself, when I release a utility to the community, I typically like to hear real world feedback. I was not complaining about the discovery not working, but rather identifying it as a potential issue and trying to help resolve it.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"belltown" wrote:
I'm still trying to figure this socket stuff out. My understanding is that the socket used for binding only affects receipt of IP packets. In order to specify which network interface is used to send a multicast datagram, you need to specify the IP_MULTICAST_IF socket option.

Huh. I guess you can affect where M-SEARCH is to be sent by using IP_MULTICAST_IF. But that does not explain the different behavior, since neither of you were using it.

And when not using it, the default is "the network interface with the lowest value for the routing metric for a destination IP address of 224.0.0.0" - so that would be a "no" to your earlier guess of "If the system picks an address corresponding to an adapter that does not support multicast" ? With IPAddress.Any it will select an adapter *with* multicast (the "best" per routing tbl - and ostensibly our best bet where the Rokus are. Unless VMWare virtual I/F sports better metrics...).

If sending the M-SEARCH changes the socket affinity by binding it to the interface multicast was sent, that's only for the better, since that's where unicast responses will come from, right? If on the other hand affinity remains at "any", that's even better since it should be accepting responses from everywhere. It makes no sense that pre-binding the socket to specific interface will make it hear better than *.*
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

There's a new release of PurpleBug (1.0.0.4).

Changes include:
- Implemented configurable fonts
- Implemented double-click on Discovered Devices list
- Improved device discovery
- Improved menu layout
- Improved text rendering on certain displays

PurpleBug is available by clicking the 'Install PurpleBug' button here: http://belltown-roku.tk/PurpleBug

If you already have PurpleBug installed, it should automatically notify you of updates, and give you the option to install them.

If you don't want to use the automatic installer, you can always download the latest PurpleBug version from: http://belltown-roku.tk/PurpleBug/noinstall/PurpleBug.exe
However, the direct download version will not check for or install updates, and will not check for or install the required .NET Framework.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Working great, font selection is very good, much better than I thought it might be, double-click is a quick little bonus (nice), good improvements 😄
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

The newest release of PurpleBug (1.0.0.8 ) now supports "Floating tabs". Right-click the tab-header and select 'Float tab'. This will detach the debugging tab from the main window and display it in its own window. You can reposition and resize the floating tabs any way you please, even display them on multiple monitors. To un-float a tab, click its "X" (close) icon. There's an option to have the floating tabs appear in the Windows Taskbar (or not) [File->Floaties in taskbar]. Each time you float a tab, it will retain the same size and position as the last time you floated a tab for that IP address/port combination.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Works great for me, nice 🙂
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

... and we resort to these contraptions and contortions, because somebody @RokuCo could not be bothered to include 1 file (1000 lines) of minimal, zero-config, BSD (permissively) licensed code - a readline replacement that the shells of Android, Redis and MongoDB have been using for years ...
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I don't know, belltown, but I might consider referring to Purplebug as a "contraption and contortion" as an insult. Smiley LOL

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:
I don't know, belltown, but I might consider referring to Purplebug as a "contraption and contortion" as an insult. Smiley LOL

Wow, @RenoJim - inventing discord where there wasn't any! :cry:

By "contraptions and contortions" i refer to the whole bag of coping mechanisms we have to resort. Besides the WIndows-only PurpleBug, those are:
  • the earlier Roky.py

• the always breaking Eclipse plugin

• attempts in vain with telnet/puTTY/dtelnet

• `rlwrap`, which sounds great but outside linux, installing it is a case of "You wanted a banana but what you got was a gorilla holding the banana and the entire jungle"
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"EnTerr" wrote:
Wow, @RenoJim - inventing discord where there wasn't any! :cry:

I hope you took my comment with the humor that was intended. Didn't mean to make anyone cry. Smiley LOL

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos