Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SoN9ne
Visitor

Closed Captioning throwing: ERROR: Missing or invalid PHY

When I enable closed captioning in my code, I now get the error: ERROR: Missing or invalid PHY

I searched around and everything seems to suggest a missing asset but this is not the case. (double and triple checked although pointless as the only change is listed below)

This is my code that throws an error:
    ' Build videoclip metadata
metaData = {
ContentType: "episode"
Title: tr("Network in English")
minBandwidth: 20
Stream: {
Url: "http://siteURL.com/JSMPkg/playlist.m3u8"
}
StreamFormat: "hls"
SubtitleConfig: {
TrackName: "eia608/1"
}
}

This is what it was with NO error.
    ' Build videoclip metadata
metaData = {
}
}

Just by adding
SubtitleConfig
it now throws the ERROR: Missing or invalid PHY error message.

Closed Captioning is provided by the streaming service and works on all devices (even Roku but it throws: ERROR: Missing or invalid PHY)

Any ideas or suggestions? Am I perhaps missing another parameter?

I already added the
minBandwidth
option but still no luck

Will this error prevent me from getting my channel published?

Thanks for any input you can provide.
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Closed Captioning throwing: ERROR: Missing or invalid PH

Could it be bugging because your SubtitleConfig is missing "ShowSubtitle: 1"? Also, is the track really named "1".
0 Kudos
adrianc1982
Visitor

"EnTerr" wrote:
Could it be bugging because your SubtitleConfig is missing "ShowSubtitle: 1"? Also, is the track really named "1".

im also having this problem with an mkv and embebbed subs, so the metadata has to have a showsubtitles: 1?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"adrianc1982" wrote:
im also having this problem with an mkv and embebbed subs, so the metadata has to have a showsubtitles: 1?

No clue, to be honest.
But there is this great problem solving strategy, divide-and-conquer - in our case it will be to do a single source change at a time till we observe outcome change - and then drill down. From what i read you say, it seems that when you add "SubtitleConfig" in metadata, you start getting "ERROR: Missing or invalid PHY" - and when you remove it, it disappears - is this correct?
If so, try to add showSubtitles element inside subtitleConfig now and see if that makes a difference or not.
In such a way each step brings you closer to pinpointing the issue location.
0 Kudos
adrianc1982
Visitor

i will defenitely try this today.

I was posting something similar in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=73632

i was refering to the same problem i have.
0 Kudos
adrianc1982
Visitor

OH MY GOD IT WORKS!!!!

i still get the error when adding

SubtitleConfig: { TrackName: "mkv/3" }

but if i remove it, it doesnt display the subs.

in conclusion you need

SubtitleConfig: { TrackName: "mkv/3" } AND
ShowSubtitle: 1

even if you get the ERROR: Missing or invalid PHY
0 Kudos
SoN9ne
Visitor

Ok, after reading the comments here and checking with the documentation I have made the edits and the error still persists.

My code is now:
    metaData = {
}
StreamBitrates: bitrates
}
}

EnTerr - I tried adding the showSubtitles setting to the subtitleConfig and the error still happens. Also, I don't want to force subtitles on but for the sake of isolating the issue I am using it for now. You are correct, when I remove SubtitleConfig the error goes away, when I add it back I get the error. IT should be noted that when I use SubtitleConfig my closed captioning works perfect (even without the ShowSubtitle flag) but it shows the error
*** ERROR: Missing or invalid PHY

I am using 608/708 so I need the eia608 channel 1 is the closed captioning so eia608/1 works as expected for me but just has a nagging error

I'm not sure what else I can do to isolate this any deeper than using the SubtitleConfig option. At this point, I am willing to live with the error... I just wonder if this affects the approval process.

Also, just in case this helps... The error is thrown when I SetContent(metaData) on roVideoScreen.

port = CreateObject("roMessagePort")
video = CreateObject("roVideoScreen")
video.setMessagePort(port)
video.SetContent(metaData) 'Error is thrown here
video.show()
0 Kudos
adrianc1982
Visitor

"SoN9ne" wrote:
Ok, after reading the comments here and checking with the documentation I have made the edits and the error still persists.

My code is now:
    metaData = {
}
StreamBitrates: bitrates
}
}

EnTerr - I tried adding the showSubtitles setting to the subtitleConfig and the error still happens. Also, I don't want to force subtitles on but for the sake of isolating the issue I am using it for now. You are correct, when I remove SubtitleConfig the error goes away, when I add it back I get the error. IT should be noted that when I use SubtitleConfig my closed captioning works perfect (even without the ShowSubtitle flag) but it shows the error

I am using 608/708 so I need the eia608 channel 1 is the closed captioning so eia608/1 works as expected for me but just has a nagging error

I'm not sure what else I can do to isolate this any deeper than using the SubtitleConfig option. At this point, I am willing to live with the error... I just wonder if this affects the approval process.

Also, just in case this helps... The error is thrown when I SetContent(metaData) on roVideoScreen.

port = CreateObject("roMessagePort")
video = CreateObject("roVideoScreen")
video.setMessagePort(port)
video.SetContent(metaData) 'Error is thrown here
video.show()

i did it like this:

m.player.SetContentList([{
streamFormat: m.container
stream: { url: url }
PlayStart: 0
FullHD: True
SubtitleConfig: { TrackName: m.container+"/3" }
}])
0 Kudos
SoN9ne
Visitor

"adrianc1982" wrote:

i did it like this:

m.player.SetContentList([{
streamFormat: m.container
stream: { url: url }
PlayStart: 0
FullHD: True
SubtitleConfig: { TrackName: m.container+"/3" }
}])

I actually tried both ways, the documentation states it should be in SubtitleConfig, but the error still happens either way. The ShowSubtitle is a flag to force the closed captions to show by default instead of the user telling it to with the remote. I don't want it on by default but I do need the capability as the channel I am working on is for elders.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"SoN9ne" wrote:
... when I remove SubtitleConfig the error goes away, when I add it back I get the error. IT should be noted that when I use SubtitleConfig my closed captioning works perfect (even without the ShowSubtitle flag) but it shows the error

I'm not sure what else I can do to isolate this any deeper than using the SubtitleConfig option.

Hmm, i am at a loss too. Let's see what the big brothers from RokuCo have to say on this.

My guess is there is some minor bug in the firmware that makes it act like that. Btw, "Missing or Invalid PHY" is more of a warning, not an error - since it does not interrupt the program. Although when it happened to me, there was an error deeply seated in my code, viewtopic.php?f=34&t=71210
0 Kudos