Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joetesta
Roku Guru

Clearing PIN from roRegistry

Hi -
I'm working on adding a PIN feature to our private channel, so that users can restrict access to the channel from others who might share their roku.
I debated whether to store the PIN on our server db or in the roku registry and figure it would be cleaner to just store it on the roku.
Now I have it all pretty much working except I'm wondering what will happen when users forget their PINs.
I tried replacing my dev channel with a new version but it still had the PIN stored in registry from the prior channel so I'm worried that removing & re-adding the channel will not clear the PIN and they'd have to do a factory reset, which is imo not ideal.
Are there any good solutions or suggestions for handling this? I guess ideally the PIN would get wiped from registry when the channel is removed. Or slightly less ideal would be a way for us to retrieve or reset the users PIN through our app somehow (I could add a check for this when it checks the device registration linking) Or worst case we tell them when they set the PIN that the only way to rectify losing it is factory reset.
tyvmia
aspiring
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: Clearing PIN from roRegistry

Removing and re-adding a channel *does* erase the registry for that channel. However, there's a peculiarity about dev channels -- if you remove a dev channel, you must go into the Channel Store and exit in order for the dev channel's registry to be erased. That's probably why you didn't see it working correctly.

Of course, you can, if you wish, also add a button or code somewhere in your app that would erase the PIN from the registry, by calling ifRegistry.Delete or ifRegistrySection.Delete.

--Mark
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

Thank you very much Mark, that's good news!
I actually did provide an option to delete the PIN from inside the channel, but if someone forgets the PIN, they can't get into the channel to get to that option.
I had thought of a way where the registration process could check whether it should delete the PIN, but it would be a pain to add and I'd prefer to tell users they can just remove and re-add the channel in the event they forget their PIN.
Thanks again!
aspiring
0 Kudos
merthin
Visitor

if you remove a dev channel, you must go into the Channel Store and exit in order for the dev channel's registry to be erased. That's probably why you didn't see it working correctly.

I'm having this same issue that after deleting/installing a private channel the registry information stays there. Using a Roku Stick with the latest Roku UI exiting seems to me just to go to the My Channels view, is this correct? If not, how you exit the Channel Store?

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

They're speaking of a side-loaded channel, not a private channel that you added by entering a code on the Roku website. To clear the registry of a private, or public for that matter, channel you have to delete all channels signed by the same developer's key.

By the way, entering and exiting the Channel Store doesn't appear to clear the dev channel's registry anymore. I had to reboot after deleting the dev channel to clear the dev's registry.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos