Hi, I wanted to change the name of the channel I published (let's say from A1 to B1). As specified in the post http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=73927 , I changed the name(A1 to B1) in the descriptions and the manifest(A1 to B1). However, the "search channels" roku option shows the old name still(A1), and when I install, in the home menu of roku, after installing the channel, I can find the new name(B1) in the home menu. Does it take time for the search results of roku to get updated or is there anything else that I need to do? I can see the version number of the channel in the search results updated, but do not see the name updated to B1.
The name by which channel shows on player's Home screen is determined by the name in the manifest. Not quite sure if you meant "public" channel and which Search you were referring to. I know if you were changing only the metadata (everything besides the bundle), you have to email dev.support to push it.
If however after renaming the channel was reviewed and published, i am baffled as to why name did not make it. What does https://channelstore.roku.com/ show for your channel?
You know what, just email developer at roku.com with this.
I changed our channel name via Direct Publisher. The update was published over 24 hours ago. On the Roku, the channel updated and shows the new name, but the channel is not searchable in the channel store under the new name. It only comes up under the old name.
I want to update this one based on current info (as of November 2022).
The name change propagated 4 or 5 days after the other published updates. I asked Partner Success if this is normal or a bug. The response:
[I]t is currently both, we did not deploy a fix, but it also shouldn't take more than a day to update. We have seen this instance on other channels, but it has not happened enough to pinpoint an actual bug.
As the former kid who always got the broken toy, I manage to run into every oddity as an adult. 😂). ANYWAY...for future reference, the name change took a few extra days.