Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing published channel name

Hi,
I wanted to change the name of the channel I published (let's say from A1 to B1). As specified in the post http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=73927 , I changed the name(A1 to B1) in the descriptions and the manifest(A1 to B1).
However, the "search channels" roku option shows the old name still(A1), and when I install, in the home menu of roku, after installing the channel, I can find the new name(B1) in the home menu. Does it take time for the search results of roku to get updated or is there anything else that I need to do? I can see the version number of the channel in the search results updated, but do not see the name updated to B1.

Thanks,
Sumeet
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Changing published channel name

The name by which channel shows on player's Home screen is determined by the name in the manifest.
Not quite sure if you meant "public" channel and which Search you were referring to.
I know if you were changing only the metadata (everything besides the bundle), you have to email dev.support to push it.

If however after renaming the channel was reviewed and published, i am baffled as to why name did not make it.
What does https://channelstore.roku.com/ show for your channel?

You know what, just email developer at roku.com with this.
0 Kudos

Thanks Enterr,
It got updated after a couple of hours. Seems some sort of cron is run to update metadata in a timely manner. Thanks
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

good to know, thanks for the update.
0 Kudos
adamesq
Streaming Star

Jumping in a timely 6 years later...

I changed our channel name via Direct Publisher. The update was published over 24 hours ago. On the Roku, the channel updated and shows the new name, but the channel is not searchable in the channel store under the new name. It only comes up under the old name.

I've found this under Roku's guide for developers:

"Roku Search

Channels and their individual content items are typically added to Roku Search within 24 hours of the channel is published."

Perhaps a name change takes longer to propagate for changed names, but longer than 24 hours seems odd and I can't find any further info on this issue. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
adamesq
Streaming Star

I want to update this one based on current info (as of November 2022).

The name change propagated 4 or 5 days after the other published updates. I asked Partner Success if this is normal or a bug. The response:

[I]t is currently both, we did not deploy a fix, but it also shouldn't take more than a day to update. We have seen this instance on other channels, but it has not happened enough to pinpoint an actual bug.

As the former kid who always got the broken toy, I manage to run into every oddity as an adult. 😂). ANYWAY...for future reference, the name change took a few extra days.