Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swarankalair
Visitor

Categorisation of Roku LowEnd and HighEnd devices

Hi All, 
Based on my channel requirements, I want to categorise roku model numbers(e.g. 37**X, 35**X, 46**X) in lowend and highend devices. On the basis of which specification, I can identify whether device is lowend or highend?
Accidental Roku Channels Enthusiast
Analog by Birth, Digital by Design
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Tajson
Visitor

Re: Categorisation of Roku LowEnd and HighEnd devices

"swarankalair" wrote:
Based on my channel requirements, I want to categorise roku model numbers(e.g. 37**X, 35**X, 46**X) in lowend and highend devices. On the basis of which specification, I can identify whether device is lowend or highend?

The higher the number is the better the device is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku
You can see the devices are released in certain number series from the same generation. There is some crossover such as the Premiere+ devices but I would consider the Premiere from 5th generation better than the Premiere from 7th generation. You can see this in the model number too with 4630 over 3921 but good luck on categorize them.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

If you are a developer, you might want to start here: https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc ... pabilities
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
swarankalair
Visitor

Thanks for all suggestions. But I want to know, is there any single property, on the basis of which we can identify whether device is low-end or high-end? My requirement is to keep the low-end and high-end devices programmatically in separate buckets.   
0 Kudos
renojim

You'll get a better response in the developer forum.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
swarankalair
Visitor

Categorisation of Roku Low-End and High-End devices

Hi All, 
Based on my channel requirements, I want to categorise roku model numbers(e.g. 37**X, 35**X, 46**X) in low-end and high-end devices. I want to know, is there any single property, on the basis of which we can identify whether device is low-end or high-end? My requirement is to keep the low-end and high-end devices programmatically in separate buckets.
0 Kudos
Tajson
Visitor

"swarankalair" wrote:
Thanks for all suggestions. But I want to know, is there any single property, on the basis of which we can identify whether device is low-end or high-end? My requirement is to keep the low-end and high-end devices programmatically in separate buckets.   

No, there is no single property to separate devices without doing some research. You can use the model number to create different pools for your channel after you evaluate your needs against each model number.

However, this is not as black and white as it may seems and you will probably wind up with more than 2 device pools.
0 Kudos
atc98092

When I created the Roku profiles for the Serviio DLNA server, I ended up with 6 different profiles based on what each player can support. You have 4K and non-4K TVs, and 4K and non-4K players, plus the latest players that now support MPEG-2/H.262 video. And we have a basic Roku profile for the older players that can't handle bitrates beyond about 16 Mbps. There are so many different model numbers spread across those different level of players that I couldn't make them auto select correctly, so the user has to manually choose the best profile. So as Tajson said, you'll likely need more than two pools. 
Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: Categorisation of Roku Low-End and High-End devices

It depends on what you mean by low and high. If you mean processor power, then all current and future Roku models are high end, so it's just a matter of deciding which older models are low end, and check against those, and everything else is high end.

For my game, I use this list:
Low:
2400X LT
2450X LT
2500X HD
2700X LT
2710X 1
2720X 2
3400X MHL Stick
3420X MHL Stick
3500X HDMI Stick
3700X Express