Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RealEstateConch
Reel Rookie

Categories Not working for my Roku Channel in Developer

Hello,

Using Roku Developer Categories and though is shows the categories it puts all of my videos in each category, even though they are tagged correctly.

I am using my Vimeo feed.

Any insights?  I have 4 different categories that I would like to display and having a heck of a time separating the videos into the right ones.

Thank you!!!

@Real Estate Conch channel

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RealEstateConch
Reel Rookie

Re: Categories Not working for my Roku Channel in Developer

Wow

Thank you Aaron.  I wish there were a way around that.  So does that mean when i exceed 40 videos or whatever the category threshold is, that it will not insert more videos?

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

First, you're not required to use the feed file that Vimeo generates for you.  You can certainly create/maintain one separate from Vimeo and still use their hosting.

Second, the "40 videos" is not a Roku restriction.  It's actually larger depending upon how you structure your channel content.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
Coligreens

Baradanikto,

Are there any videos out there explaining how to use Vimeo as the host and feed Roku from  3rd party software. I think you posted something a while back but it was a windows-only platform.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

@Coligreens The only video I am familiar with is the one produced by Michael Kammes.  It does not address using Vimeo per se, because your video platform is not significant. 

Building a Direct Publisher channel involves creating and maintaining a feed file (ie. manifest) that defines your channel contents.  Vimeo generate one for you, but, I've seen lot of complaints about what they create.  Don't use a simple file editor to create your feed file as it will not validate or catch syntax errors.  Regardless of the platform, you'll need to create the feed file, either from scratch, or, by importing it from Vimeo.  Then, simply plug in the Vimeo URLs to your video content into the feed file.

For a better understanding, you should read the Json schema if you haven't already.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos