Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bbrouse
Visitor

Captions in video node don't start displaying on start of video playback

We're trying to convert our channel to use the scene graph video node instead of legacy video objects. We need to support closed captions on all episodes, but are running into some trouble.

We have tried both side loading srt subfiles in the subtitleConfig field of the content meta-data and embedding the captions in the smooth stream manifest itself. In both cases the closed captions do no display at the start of video playback; they only display if you pause or fast forward and even then they don't start to display until many minutes later.

I'm currently testing on a Roku model 4230X - Roku 3 on firmware version 7.5.0 build 4100-04
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
bbrouse
Visitor

Re: Captions in video node don't start displaying on start of video playback

I noticed that the subtitleTrack field on the video node doesn't get populated by default, even if the global caption settings are set to "On". I threw this conditional in and captions are now displaying consistently:
if video_player.availableSubtitleTracks.count() > 0 then
    video_player.subtitleTrack = video_player.availableSubtitleTracks[0].TrackName
end if
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Thanks for posting about this.
0 Kudos
lylyahiko
Visitor

Is this the only way to force the captions to start by default?
0 Kudos