Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
panzhuli
Visitor

Cannot package app

Ever since updating my box to 4.9 (I'm currently at 5.0 build 8043), I've been having difficulty packaging up apps. Sometimes it works, but now it just isn't. I can telnet to my Roku's IP address at port 8080, but hitting enter or entering a command (genkey) causes an immediate "Connection closed by foreign host" message and I'm booted. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I've tried to restart my machine, Roku, etc. I'd prefer to not have to reset my device to factory, but will if I have to. I've had this issue since 12/12
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Cannot package app

Have you gone through the process to re-enable developer mode? The update to 5.0 may have disabled it to ensure you accept the new TOS.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
panzhuli
Visitor

I'm afraid that didn't help either.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Try full factory resetting the device, hold the button on the back under the power jack in for 30 seconds.

- Joel
0 Kudos
panzhuli
Visitor

I did a factory reset both by pressing the button under the power jack and via the SDK. Neither were successful.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Did you re-enable developer mode after the factory reset?
If you access your device's IP address in a web browser, do you see the Dev Installer page?

--Mark
0 Kudos
panzhuli
Visitor

Yep, I did re-enable them. I can visit the page via IP in my browser and can telnet:

telnet $ROKU_DEV_TARGET 8080
Trying 192.168.1.91...
Connected to np-13c1cj109560.
Escape character is '^]'.
genkey
Connection closed by foreign host.

as an example....
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

what client are you using to telnet?
0 Kudos
panzhuli
Visitor

I'm just using the Terminal on my Mac.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Super weird. Do you have another roku you can test on, just in case it is your network?

By the way, just to be certain, pressing the reset button for a short period of time is a soft reset, holding it down for what seems like forever is a full hard reset.

Otherwise, I would suggest taking it back and exchanging for another device.

- Joel
0 Kudos