Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greubel
Visitor

Can You Play m3u8 from USB or tmp:/ ?

I took a short working video that plays from an external drive and placed the files on a USB drive, .m3u8 with .ts files.
It fails to play from the USB, so I copied the USB files to a folder on the internal tmp: to see if that might work.
It fails also !

Question: Should this work ?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
greubel
Visitor

Re: Can You Play m3u8 from USB or tmp:/ ?

The reason I'm trying this is because Chaneru can now access multiple UPnP media servers and I'm looking for a way to render transcoded h.264 streams on the Roku.
The Chaneru server reformats this streams from VLC into HLS format and I would like to be able to do the same natively on the Roku.

Please respond !
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

I tried doing the same previously, and the only way I could get M3U8 to work was via HTTP. I couldn't figure out any way to get it to work from tmp:. Having said that, I don't think I ever tried it with a "file://" protocol prefix. I doubt it would make a difference, but it might. The other possibility would be to set up a simple web server in-channel that could serve the playlist via HTTP.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

"file://" protocol prefix didn't work either.
0 Kudos