Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Can Roku generate a JPG or PNG file?

"squirreltown" wrote:

It works great. Now, if we can just compress it so I could send it somewhere ( err..conveniently). 😄
Add a file type to AsyncPostFromFile? ( it already works, it just sends it uncompressed)

The PNG pixel data is deflate/zlib compressed using a default setting.
While gzipping the post would no doubt squeeze the file size additionally, I wouldn't expect it to be that significant in the grand scheme of things.
But I suppose it might depend on what type of images you have and what you are doing with them. 🙂
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"RokuKC" wrote:
"squirreltown" wrote:

It works great. Now, if we can just compress it so I could send it somewhere ( err..conveniently). 😄
Add a file type to AsyncPostFromFile? ( it already works, it just sends it uncompressed)

While gzipping the post would no doubt squeeze the file size additionally, I wouldn't expect it to be that significant in the grand scheme of things.
But I suppose it might depend on what type of images you have and what you are doing with them. 🙂

Yes, I've noticed there is (very reasonable) compression, but sending the file takes the same amount of time as sending a byte array, it's not like one would expect for an "attachment".
I've been doing this awhile, to get what are essentially screen caps out of the box. It takes about 5-6 seconds to send a 1.2mb-ish file in tmp:/ to a local NAS for processing.
Glad to have the feature though, very useful for me.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

"squirreltown" wrote:

Yes, I've noticed there is (very reasonable) compression, but sending the file takes the same amount of time as sending a byte array, it's not like one would expect for an "attachment".

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by this. If a 1 MB bitmap compresses to a 200 KB jpeg, then sending it (uncompressed) will take the same amount of time as sending a 200 KB byte array. 200 KB is 200 KB. If you compress a 200 KB file, it MAY get smaller, depending on the contents. A text file with a lot of redundancy will compress very small, but a file of random data with little redundancy won't compress much at all (and may even get bigger). A jpeg file is already compressed, so it can't be compressed much further. Perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying.

--Mark
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
"squirreltown" wrote:

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by this.

He meant that in his personal observation, uploading a snapshot taken with GetPng() took about as much time as one done with GetByteArray(). Presumably transferred to a local NAS by unknown means (http PUT?).

@squirreltown, try to be more systematic about such things -
(a) measure time, sizes and
(b) use "divide & conquer" approach, e.g. include pre-saved PNG in your bundle and try uploading that instead of GetPng() one - my money are on it will take the same time. Then we can think what causes delay to your NAS upload
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuKC" wrote:

I remember once upon a time asking why PNG was specifically excluded from Roku makefile https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?p=442441#p442444
Apparently can't squeeze blood from a turnip

But RokuKC - is "default setting" also the fastest?
Speaking in practical terms, not OCD ones. (e.g. 10-20% is peanuts but 2x is BFD)

PS. 2600ms on a Roku3... way slow. Seems will have to thread carefully
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:

He meant that in his personal observation, uploading a snapshot taken with GetPng() took about as much time as one done with GetByteArray(). Presumably transferred to a local NAS by unknown means (http PUT?).

Yes. Sending the result of GetPNG() or GetByteArray() to a PHP file on a local NAS which creates a jpeg/png file.
lets say I'm capturing a 1480 x 920 file. It takes no time to do GetPng(), then about 5-6 seconds while it gets sent via AsyncPostfromfile to the NAS, at this point the PHP tempfile shows up meaning the transfer is done and stream-copy-to-stream is doing it's thing.
The Roku can download a similar sized png from the same NAS way faster.

@enTerr, at this point, this is pretty unimportant overall, it's a nice trick for my own use. but I will try that when I can, I have to look up how to receive a file instead of a stream.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Hmmm, i guess i get to report first bug: roScreen.getPng() fails when screensaver is active
Discovered accidentally:
BrightScript Debugger> scr = createObject("roScreen"): ? scr.getWidth(), scr.getHeight()
1280 720

#' wait for SS to kick in
BrightScript Debugger> png = scr.getPng(0, 0, 1280, 720): ? png.count()
'Dot' Operator attempted with invalid BrightScript Component or interface reference. (runtime error &hec) in $LIVECOMPILE(58)

BrightScript Debugger> ? png
invalid

What's the dealio with SS Blackenstein, i never really understood?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Also reporting a umm, feature:
With double-buffered roScreen, getPng() sources from the back buffer
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:

@squirreltown, try to be more systematic about such things -
(a) measure time, sizes and
(b) use "divide & conquer" approach, e.g. include pre-saved PNG in your bundle and try uploading that instead of GetPng() one - my money are on it will take the same time. Then we can think what causes delay to your NAS upload

Sending a 1.5 mb .png file from pkg:/ takes one second.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Sending a 1.5 MB file should take the same amount of time, no matter what the file type is. I think the most important thing to know is the actual size in bytes of the result of GetPng, compared to the dimensions of the bitmap that went into it.

--Mark
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.