Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjj4golf
Visitor

Can I use an in-house server

I am trying to put all our mp4 files on an in-house server running ubuntu and apache.  I don't have DNS configured so I am trying to use the ip of the server along with the subdir the the mp4.
e.g. 192.168.0.xxx/FF_Subdir/movie.mp4.  Works great from a browser but when trying to add it to myRoku channel-- it doesn't.   We are only going to use this in-house and never for public use.         I am using the InstantChannel program to create/maintain  the channel but wonder if there is some kind of restriction in Roku for using an ip adress instead of a dns name.
Miike
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
matrixebiz
Roku Guru

Re: Can I use an in-house server

Roku does not have an issue using the IP address, I use IP address to access some of my streams but I don't use the InstantChannel site so I have no idea how their channels work. You should email Scott and ask him but it's not an issue with the Roku device.
0 Kudos
OddScott
Roku Guru

Mike,

Try putting http:// in front of the IP address, e.g. http://192.168.0.xxx/FF_Subdir/movie.mp4

There should be no problem streaming from a local private network Apache server as long as the Apache server is configured to support byte-range requests (I think this is included in most default configurations) and the movie.mp4 file is encoded in a Roku-compatible format and bitrate.

Scott
www.InstantTvChannel.com - 717-441-4386 - Build a Roku SDK channel in 15 minutes! - Easy Direct Publisher to SDK upgrades!
0 Kudos
norcaljohnny
Roku Guru

When you say it works from a browser, is that from a browser that is running the server or any browsers on different devices on the same network.

If it is only from the browser on the same machine running the server then you may need to log onto your router and use port forwarding to redirect to that particular machine.
0 Kudos