Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
evilmax17
Visitor

Buying a Roku 2 just for development?

Are any of you guys planning on buying a Roku 2 to develop on?

I'm already at the point where I have a Roku for every TV in the house, so I don't really need a Roku 2... but I don't like the idea of being behind the curve development-wise. I dunno, I'm still mulling it over personally.

Thoughts?
My Roku Channels:
Viddler - viddler.com
Tested Fan - tested.com | Jamie & Adam
This is my next - theverge.com
1080p Showcase - RIP
Whiskey Media - RIP
======================
http://www.binarymoustache.com
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Buying a Roku 2 just for development?

Depends on what capabilities they expose in the SDK. If you're planning on developing 3D games, it's probably a must, but the 2D stuff in the 3.0 SDK works pretty good on the existing boxes. I still do the bulk of my development on my old HD-XR to ensure as much backwards compatibility as possible.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

"evilmax17" wrote:
Are any of you guys planning on buying a Roku 2 to develop on?
I'm already at the point where I have a Roku for every TV in the house, so I don't really need a Roku 2... but I don't like the idea of being behind the curve development-wise. I dunno, I'm still mulling it over personally.
Thoughts?

I'd need more wall outlets, but tv's have multiple input jacks so one roku per tv isn't a limitation. I'd get one because it uses less power than existing roku boxes and it's 1/4th the footprint.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"destruk" wrote:
I'd need more wall outlets, but tv's have multiple input jacks so one roku per tv isn't a limitation.

As long as you have an alternative means of controlling them, like a network remote (or one of the fancy new bluetooth remotes, I suppose). I have three Rokus hooked up to my dev monitor... pain in the neck controlling them individually. Paired remotes and/or discrete codesets would help tremendously!
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

now, see, I hadn't thought about that - the remote would control all three if the signal is seen... right. As for showing stuff on the same tv, well, the input button switches to the next available input fas far as the tv is concerned.
Thanks for raising the point.
0 Kudos
goya
Visitor

does roku have a way for developers to purchase the new roku 2 players at a discount and for them to get quicker processing / delivery, or do they have to wait until it like in the stores...

hell, i just ordered one, it's only $99, and we do have to keep them in business, plus they will ship it tomorrow and i'll have it in about a week... better than waiting a week for a response that says we don't have discounted developer versions 😉
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I'll probably get one just to check out whatever new features are added to the SDK, but I wouldn't say no to a developer's discount! :mrgreen:

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
goya
Visitor

i'm pretty much interested in the new hardware

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/29/roku ... e-updates/

Broadcom 2835 SOC, an 802.11n radio, a MicroSD slot, Bluetooth, 256mb nand

xd/xs models have 256 mb dram and poor old hd is left behind with only 128 mb dram so hopefully no more out of storage errors so long as channels can be stored on inexpensive microcd. i think i have couple 4gb around somewhere.

so developers should be able to do a lot of nice 2d games. i cant wait for some tower defense ones ported from flash... 😄

too bad they don't open up c/linux to developers.
0 Kudos
cdoty
Streaming Star

"goya" wrote:

I have to wonder if the Roku 2 SDK isn't c/c++ based.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"cdoty" wrote:
"goya" wrote:

I have to wonder if the Roku 2 SDK isn't c/c++ based.

As a partner, you may have access to some lower level stuff, but I don't think they'll be moving away from BrightScript anytime soon.
0 Kudos