Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goya
Visitor

re: expanding remote control interface and sdk api

it would be helpful if roku device output to telnet port 8080 or some other telnet port the name or id of a channel when the user opens a channel and closes a channel regardless of whose channel it is

for example

channel-opened <name|id>
channel-closed <name|id>

and also helpful would be helpful if roku for the active channels output the name or id of the video/music/ect when it starts and ends

content-started <name|id>
content-ended <name|id>

additionally it would be more useful to be able to query the device for current channel and current video/music/ect and to get channel details by name or id and video/music/ect details by name or id

get-channel-listing
get-channel-detail <name|id>
get-content-detail <name|id>

get-current-channel - returns the current
get-current-content - returns the name and/or id of currently playing video/music/ect

finally it would be of use to be able to specify a channel and to start a video/music/ect

set-current-channel <name|id>
set-current-content <name|id>

if video/music/ect are scheduled on some channel it would be helpful to be able to query for the schedule and then be able to query for individual video/music/ect details

get-schedule-listing
get-channel-schedule <name|id>

finally, it would be helpful is sdk were also expanded to be able to perform the following using brightscript, for example monitor channel, video/music/ect changes and to be able to run some script on other system wide events like those detailed above, for example when someone changes to a channel...

that way remote application can use this information to do things
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: re: expanding remote control interface and sdk api

A problem with this is that only 1 client will be able to telnet 8080 and follow the status.

Better will be to incorporate that in the ECP that happens over http - a way to check the player status (which channel is playing? what is playing?). Querying which channels is running in particular is trivial but still not done.
0 Kudos
goya
Visitor

even better

i prefer web services, but i'm happy with plain old http (without xml or with xml), i just would like to see a nice api for all of us to use. then developers can have some fun and bring additional value to the platform...

i also hope they open up linux/c/c++ to us. why lock us in. we should be able to register, get some keys for us to use to sign our stuff and do like android os...

then we can all build nice components and you will see people start to port other languages maybe java, maybe lua.

i understand people may abuse it, but that why we would register and have stuff reviewed before publicly being put on roku.

i'm happy to create open source components, then everyone benefits. could have industry just around porting stuff to roku hw / creating components for content (channel) providers...
0 Kudos
goya
Visitor

maybe instead of extending the device remote control api roku could implement a web service that people can give ok to certain services to be able to access this information. surely they know when a roku device changes channels and is watching something, else the device could transmit the information. sort of like all those other companies that have access. the information would be protected by some pin and you would give the pin to the service for that connection another service would need a different pin and you would be able to configure what you want each service to see or put general rules. think like messaging and friends and what you want them to see and what you want everyone to see. it would be some protocol like how devices are activated on netflix/amazon now... anyways it doesn not cost much to stir the pot and create post...
0 Kudos