Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Bug: Roku reboots on DHCP IP change when in channel

I am investigating mysterious ECP/SSDP bug that all ECP remote seem to run into and as part of it I am testing change of IP address during DHCP renewal (i.e. DHCP server does not renew IP on expiration of lease but offers new one). This is a real case that happens in some SOHO routers, i was using one like that couple of years ago, it would change assigned IP addresses on a whim.

So I set expiration and new leases, and in the mean while I had Pandora playing on the Roku. Suddenly the player rebooted, as if power-cycled. I am guessing this is because the IP address change happened. In the router log I see that Roku has been begging multiple times (for at least fifteen minutes) to extend the lease and the router have been responding with the new IP.

I understand change of IP is a major thing in TCP/IP stack and no established TCP connections or UDP streaming cannot be expected to survive, sure. But the player crashing is no way to go either - much more understandable would be if e.g. Pandora reported there has been network problem. Since this caused player reboot and not just exit of the current channel, I assume the problem is in the underlying implementation of audio streaming and not in the Pandora app as such.

PS. is there a better way to report firmware bugs? I.e. bug-tracker to directly submit bugs or a bit more deterministic way of soliciting response?
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuKevin
Visitor

Re: Bug: Roku reboots on DHCP IP change when in channel

Thanks EnTerr. This is the only mechanism we currently have for reporting bugs.

--Kevin
0 Kudos