Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug: Manifest File Parsing

This may not be an actual bug, but I figured I would report it anyway, just in case it can be improved.

I've found that unless a line ends in a carriage return/line feed, it isn't parsed out of the manifest file. I tend to remove empty lines from my files so had deleted the blank line at the end of my manifest then noticed that this seemed to break what the previous line was referencing for the package. No show stopper here, as I can easily add the blank line back in, but for the purpose of being robust and keeping people from scratching their heads, it may be worthwhile to look at having the parser check each line even if it doesn't end in carriage return/line feed.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Bug: Manifest File Parsing

Are you referring to some specific code? As far as I'm aware, there's nothing in the SDK to parse manifest files, so you're probably referring to some third-party code snippet...?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos

No, I am referring to how the firmware processes the manifest. For instance, I had specified the Main Menu Side Icon SD43 in the manifest, but without the return at the end it doesn't seem to show up. I did check to make sure that the file existed in the package.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

It's true, the manifest parser expects an end-of-line (either cr/lf or just lf) at the end of each line. Some text editors remove the end-of-line from the last line in the file, which is IMHO a really stupid thing to do. I've also had problems with some C compilers barfing when the last line didn't end with a newline. It would be better if the manifest parser didn't depend on the final end-of-line. Until then, you may want to see if your editor has an option to not remove the final end-of-line.

--Mark
0 Kudos

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
Until then, you may want to see if your editor has an option to not remove the final end-of-line.

It's not a huge issue for me, now that I know that it expects it I can make sure that it is there. My point is more along the lines that others are likely to encounter the same issue.

A special note in section 3.2 of the Component Reference should help to reduce confusion.
0 Kudos