Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kyleabaker
Visitor

Better to re-use the same screen port or create new one?

I've noticed in at least one of the sdk examples that a port is being created and reused for more than one screen (stored in m.port). Will this cause problems stacking screens with the same port or should I be creating a unique port object for each screen?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Better to re-use the same screen port or create new one?

When you check a port, it removes the keypress from the queue. So really, one port or multiple ports shouldn't make much of a difference.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Sharing a port allows you to use the same wait loop to process events from multiple components (e.g., an roImageCanvas on top of an roVideoPlayer with roSystemLog enabled). If you don't have that need, then it doesn't really matter which approach you take.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
gabek
Visitor

I like the approach of creating one central event bus, with one loop. Each component can re-use the same port assigned to that loop and all callbacks can come through that central point. Not everybody needs that, but I find that it cleans things up.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"gabek" wrote:
I like the approach of creating one central event bus, with one loop. Each component can re-use the same port assigned to that loop and all callbacks can come through that central point. Not everybody needs that, but I find that it cleans things up.

With only one event loop handling all events from all components, you'd need a way to know which component generated which event. That might be harder to do if they share the same port, depending on the complexity of your code.
0 Kudos
gabek
Visitor

"belltown" wrote:
With only one event loop handling all events from all components, you'd need a way to know which component generated which event. That might be harder to do if they share the same port, depending on the complexity of your code.

It's true! My logic is broken up by component. As messages come in it gets routed to a function for that component type that determines who is expecting that callback. I suppose it sounds more complex typing it out than I think it is 🙂 But centralizing that code has been cleaner for me.
0 Kudos