Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Auto Play menu in the Roku Script

"CorporateTV" wrote:
The video will play in side mode, but the application will not even load when I package and upload it to ROKU. Any idea on what I'm doing wrong?

You've declared the variable as "msg", but you're trying to access it as "message". Change your "message.isrequestfailed()" and "message.isfullresult()" to "msg.isrequestfailed()" and "msg.isfullresult()".
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

My fault, error in the example code I posted.

- Joel
0 Kudos
CorporateTV
Visitor

Joel,

I think I found the problem that I was having. The variable in the code from the development kit used "msg" the variable in the code that you supplied was "message."

After changing this, everything appears to be working. I'm testing the script now to see if the script will auto restart the stream.

One question though. Is there a certain amount of time that this script that you wrote will no longer work, like say the time it takes for a piece of hardware needing to be restarted versus a simple spike/dropout in bandwidth? Or will this script keep retrying until it gets connected?
0 Kudos
CorporateTV
Visitor

Joel,

Saw where you posted the fix. I didn't see that until I had discovered that problem as well.

Thanks for responding though!
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

"CorporateTV" wrote:

One question though. Is there a certain amount of time that this script that you wrote will no longer work, like say the time it takes for a piece of hardware needing to be restarted versus a simple spike/dropout in bandwidth? Or will this script keep retrying until it gets connected?

Theoretically, it should fail and retry over and over, however, there may be some conditions under which it might stall and stay stalled forever, so you might want to work out a timer of some kind to close the screen with a -5 (or whatever you choose for your "fail" code) after a certain amount of time during which no position notification updates have happened or the Start of Play event fails to trigger.

I would also recommend using a range of various bitrate encodes for the video, from low to high, so that if the bandwidth fluctuates, your channel still plays.

- Joel
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.