Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bryankaiser
Visitor

Re: Advice for Debugging playback?

I have to admit that I let this drop for awhile after I started a new job and am just now getting back into it.

So you're encoding with Handbrake and then using ffmpeg to repackage it. Have you tried doing the encoding only using ffmpeg? I'll probably give that a shot over the next few days and see what I come up with. The Roku has been updated several times since I tried this last, and ffmpeg has had updates since then as well, so maybe everything will play together a little more nicely now.

Bryan
0 Kudos
em_lazardo
Visitor

Just coming of a contract myself, similar situation.

I made some early and somewhat feeble attempts at pure ffmpeg, but the matrix to map working handbrake -> ffmpeg was too overwhelming at the time.

I'm revisiting now since something changed in 1529/1553 that breaks AC3-based encodes on my N1100 and the 2000C, but not on the N1101: 1-2 seconds after selection, the dreaded 'format not supported and/or corrupt' then punt. A brief mp4 survey may suggest that AAC-based encodes work on all three models, AC3 only on N1101, and all three are on 2.9/1553, same LAN, same source.

I really like quality audio so now that I'm facing re-encoding, revisiting ffmpeg looks more attractive.

I'll post again when the test cases and specific matrix of what works/doesnt is complete. A few days at the most.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"em.lazardo" wrote:
I'm revisiting now since something changed in 1529/1553 that breaks AC3-based encodes on my N1100 and the 2000C, but not on the N1101: 1-2 seconds after selection, the dreaded 'format not supported and/or corrupt' then punt. A brief mp4 survey may suggest that AAC-based encodes work on all three models, AC3 only on N1101, and all three are on 2.9/1553, same LAN, same source.

Out of curiosity, have you checked the "audio mode" on the two that aren't working with AC3? There may have been a change that causes an error with a source that is AC3 if the box is set for stereo.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
em_lazardo
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
"em.lazardo" wrote:

Out of curiosity, have you checked the "audio mode" on the two that aren't working with AC3? There may have been a change that causes an error with a source that is AC3 if the box is set for stereo.

That was it. The N1100 and 2000C were set to 2.0 since they normally use RCA audio out to an old Denon, but there is also an HDMI connection to the TV [where as the N1101 has always been set to 5.1 since it uses optical out and feeds a more modern receiver].

In any case, setting to 5.1 restored playback for all content, setting to stereo will only support 2.0 audio source playback. I believe this was more relaxed with prior builds.

Update: After saving someone else in the general discussion, its now a bug rather than a feature: http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26058&p=254781#p254781

Cheers,
0 Kudos