Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crawfishmedia
Channel Surfer

Accessing network drive

I see that the USB media app on Roku has been silently updated to allow connectivity to a network drive. I have a NAS running on my network and Roku is able to see it and I am able to view content.
So I am wondering, Roku guys, if you are going to update the SDK docs soon so that we can programmatically access a network drive, or however you call it.
This would be perfect for my slideshow app - I'd like to play all my photos from my home network. Thanks
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: Accessing network drive

There are no new APIs to access network drives. The Media Player uses DLNA queries (SSDP, UPnP, HTTP) to access network resources, using the existing socket and HTTP APIs.

--Mark
0 Kudos
crawfishmedia
Channel Surfer

So after some digging it looks like in order to learn how to make DLNA queries we have to buy the documentation from DLNA for $500. Unfortunately I'm not that serious.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Or RokuCo to share the source as SDK example.
There is no secrets hidden in the documentation but if one wants to be officially compliant to the letter they have to buy the book.
0 Kudos
crawfishmedia
Channel Surfer

I don't need to be fully compliant, I just want to access my photos over my network to make a slideshow.
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

I'd like to see that example too.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos