Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jedashford
Channel Surfer

Access to Roku Objects?

I've found people here super helpful, so looking for some quick help for our next iteration. We have need to create a custom Springboard, grid, and videoplayer screens. From my understanding, all animations will need to be x/y changes based on timers. I'd absolutely love to start with what has already been done with roGridScreen, roSpringboardScreen, and roVideoScreen. Do we have access to those original code resources, or is there somewhere I can find what others have done for custom pages and animations? It would help kick off our next project.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
jedashford
Channel Surfer

Re: Access to Roku Objects?

Maybe these are already available and I don't know how to access them?
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

I think you need to explain a bit more about what you're asking for. The built-in screens (springboard, grid, etc) are implemented in the firmware -- there is no Brightscript associated with them.

BTW, some time ago I started a little side project to reimplement all the standard screens in Brightscript using roScreen. The idea is it would then be possible to make arbitrary customizations of those screens. I got some of the infrastructure done and a few of the simple screens, but lost interest in it. I wonder if anyone would be interested in picking this up? Might be a good community project, since the work can probably be divided up easily. I want to emphasize that this is just a personal project; it is not authorized nor supported by Roku.

--Mark
0 Kudos
jedashford
Channel Surfer

Mark, you're right on and I appreciate the response. I was hoping the screens were available in brightscript code. If Roku is planning on staying with Brightscript and the current platform, your idea is perfect. With more competition in the set top market, having some screens that can easily be modified, instead of rebuilding them from the ground up, could make a positive difference in helping developers/designers get a leg up.

If you're willing to share, I'd like to take a look at what you've accomplished so far.
0 Kudos
Veeta
Visitor

I'd be interested in some brightscript-based screens. Not so much resembling the built-ins, but for customized screens. How usable is the code?
0 Kudos