Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tattness
Binge Watcher

AWS Cloudfront and S3 configuration

Jump to solution

In my last post I was configuring my channel's content and feed URL to be stored in AWS S3 and distributed through AWS Cloudfront. I created my S3 bucket and Cloudfront on February 15 and I received a notification that I've reached 100% of my Simple storage service. My channel has not been published yet and has only been tested by myself on my tv to ensure links are working and everything looks good. On that note I've been adding/deleting content to my bucket regularly, could that may have contributed to my usage being "eaten up"? Or is my channel not utilizing the proper access point in my Cloudfront. My original access point was to the S3 bucket itself, last night I created an access point of my JSON file in the bucket and changed my feed URL to that JSON access point. Any help is greatly appreciated.cloudfront.JPG

The access point below was my original access point. I created the JSON specific access point last nightThe access point below was my original access point. I created the JSON specific access point last night

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: AWS Cloudfront and S3 configuration

Jump to solution

Yes, that looks correct.  It should be the "Domain name" of the CloudFront distribution you defined.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
tattness
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@Baradanikto sorry to tag you but I saw you use AWS Cloudfront for your channel. Is your access point your actual JSON file or your S3 bucket?

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Can you explain what you mean by "access point"?  Are you asking what I specify in the Roku developer portal?

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
tattness
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi @Baradanikto, sorry what I meant was your origin domain name and path in AWS Cloudfront. In one of my images I attached I created 2 origin domain names in Cloudfront. The first was for the S3 bucket itself the other was for the JSON feed file itself in the S3 bucket. I understand for a feed URL it needs to point directly to the JSON file which I did and my content is showing up in my channel preview and I realized that the URL for the JSON file and the origin domain name and path is the same-  https://tattnesstv.s3.amazonaws.com/Tattness+TV.json. My concern is that when content is accessed from the channel it is fetching the content from the S3 bucket itself and not utilizing the Cloudfront as my usage dashboard is showing no usage from the Cloudfront but 100% from the S3 (see image)
cloudfront.JPG

These are my two origin domain paths:

cloudfrontorigins.JPG

I hope this makes sense. Thank you again.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If you are using CloudFront to cache your files, you should be specifying the CloudFront URL(s) in your feed file and in the Roku developer portal.

0 Kudos
tattness
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@Baradanikto thank you again for your help! Sorry to ask but where do I find my Cloudfront urls? Is it d1pvvs74lkm01w.cloudfront.net? Thank so much once again.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yes, that looks correct.  It should be the "Domain name" of the CloudFront distribution you defined.

Zei2021
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I'm trying to set up my MRSS feed using Amazon Cloudfront and s3 Bucket.  I've already set up my s3 bucket, but when I tried to create distribution via Cloudfront, the RTMP option is not available as my distribution method (only Web option displays).  

Can someone walk me through how to set up the MRSS Feed using Amazon Cloudfront and the s3 bucket with a step-by-step instruction in a reply?

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Zei2021 I'm not sure what your question is.  However, I've set up my CloudFront distributions with a delivery method of Web and they work fine.

0 Kudos
Zei2021
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@Baradanikto Thanks for your reply.  Are you suggesting I can use Web as my Distribution Method (and NOT RTMP) to generate my MRSS Feed with Amazon Cloudfront to create my Roku Channel?

0 Kudos