Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msauer2000
Visitor

6.2 Firmware on Roku 3 - HLS Reboot Issue

We have recently started getting complains from users with a Roku 3 box using the latest 6.2 firmware.

The user starts playing the HLS stream, and it plays fine usually for about 15-30 minutes, but then the Roku box will spontaneously reboot.

We have reproduced the issue in our lab, and have retrieved the following from telnet, right before it rebooted:

Unexpected event type: 37
roVideoPlayerEvent, 31, 7: Download segment info
Unexpected event type: 31
roVideoPlayerEvent, 31, 7: Download segment info
Unexpected event type: 31
roVideoPlayerEvent, 9,-3: An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected.
play failed: An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected.

I verified on the apache server, serving the TS and m3u8 files, that there were no errors.

We are using a multibitrate playlist file with 3 different variants/bitrates. This problem does not happen on the Roku 2, and it seems to have started with the recent firmware update.

I can PM a stream URL to someone at Roku if it would help.

Thanks,
Mark
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: 6.2 Firmware on Roku 3 - HLS Reboot Issue

Hi, yes, please do PM us a stream. Better would be an example roku app demonstrating the problem, as a .zip file that we can attach to a bug report, send via Dropbox, or just email to developer[at]Roku.com. If you go that route it would be helpful if you can mention your forum name in the email.

- Joel
0 Kudos
edskitter
Visitor

Hi Roku Joel,

Do you have an update on this? I believe my coworker sent you a PM with the stream. We are still experiencing this issue with our HD stream.
0 Kudos
edskitter
Visitor

I have sent an email to developer@roku.com with the sample HLS stream and a video player example that is causing the reboot. Do you need anything else from us to get this working?
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Edit: Looks like I already filed a bug on you issue on 04/24, and engineering was able to reproduce it. I'll ping them to see if any progress was made since then.

- Joel
0 Kudos
360tv
Streaming Star

If it's worth anything, I'm having the same problem on Roku 3 only, not on my LT. Please keep us posted on what you find out.
0 Kudos