Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coredump
Visitor

2D API scrolling images

I am trying to figure out the best way to scroll through images ... Basically, a bunch of movie posters in a table. I looked at the scroll example and they just have one giant image and set the region to wrap. Is there a way to draw multiple images in a region outside the screen and scroll through them or is there a better way in the 2D roku world ?
0 Kudos
38 REPLIES 38
NewManLiving
Visitor

Re: 2D API scrolling images

This all depends upon how many posters you have. You can quickly reach memory limits especially on the older boxes which have less than the 3 box. You can view your memory requirements using a telnet session with the ip of your box at port 8080. Then issue the command r2d2_bitmaps a couple of times and that will dump memory for you so you can see the maximum, total used, and total available. If you have a large number of posters that exceed memory then things get really complex.

There are essentially two ways to perform a grid scroll. The first and most popular I believe, is to layout your bitmaps (start with one row ) across the screen using offsets.
Generally each poster is the same size. So you start at a fixed y coordinate, say 50, and your x coordinate would be 0. assign your bitmaps to an array.
You can get the dimensions of your screen using roDeviceInfo. What you are attempting is quite a job for a noobie, especially one who does not check return values

l_width = the bitmap width + any margin between bitmaps
l_x = 0
l_y = 50

Clear screen
For each bitmap in bitmapArray
Screen.DrawObject( l_x, l_y, bitmap )
l_x = l_x + l_width
end for
Screen.SwapBuffers()

When you have that much then you can use a simple Robert Penner ease to nicely slide the bitmaps across the screen. Your really going to have to take this one step at a time. Most people start out with simple things. A grid is not simple and gets messy when you have to download images during scrolling. ROKU is a world of asynchronous operations in a single-threaded environment. It's going to take time to get to know the API
enough to write a reliable grid. If you can load all your bitmaps without sinking memory, then the job is much simpler
My Channels: 2D API Framework Presentation: https://owner.roku.com/add/2M9LCVC
Updated: 11-11-2015 - Completed Keyboard interface
The Joel Channel ( Final Beta )
0 Kudos
coredump
Visitor

Thanks for the advice "NewManLiving", I only have to support vertical scrolling so hopefully that will make it a bit easier but still a daunting task I am sure.
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

If you can load all the bitmaps at once and are using a single row then it is much simpler. There is an example floating around somewhere, I'll see if I could find it
0 Kudos
coredump
Visitor

That would be most appreciated. Thank You
0 Kudos
coredump
Visitor

I have my grid of posters drawn ( 3 posters across and multiple rows). I used the TextureManager to boost performance when downloading the bitmaps asynchronously.

The set up the grid using a variation of the code shown by NewManLiving:

l_width = the bitmap width + any margin between bitmaps
l_x = 0
l_y = 50

Clear screen
For each bitmap in bitmapArray
Screen.DrawObject( l_x, l_y, bitmap )
l_x = l_x + l_width
end for
Screen.SwapBuffers()

So now I am back to my original question how do I emulate smooth scrolling ? I only have to scroll vertically and not horizontally, so essentially moving the rows up and down with some image easing to make it look smooth. I found this in the forum, posted by NewMan Living:

' In this example we are moving the x position it would be the same for y you just move in the y direction instead of x

curr_time = 0 ' START TIME OR FRAME IS USUALLY 0 OR 1 DEPENDING ON YOUR FLAVOR
start_val = 100 ' START X OR Y POSITION DEPNDING ON MOVEMENT DIRECTION (CURRENT X POS OF YOUR SPRITE)
change_val = 800 ' WHERE WE ARE MOVING TO FROM START_VAL THIS WOULD BE X OR Y AS MENTIONED IN PREV LINE
duration = 30 ' HOW LONG SHOULD IT TAKE TO EASE THERE. To go back just use a negative ( -newX)

for i = 0 to duration
newX = CubeEaseOut(curr_time + i, start_val, change_val, duration)
end for

Function CubeEaseOut(t_from_frame As Float, d_to_frame As Float, b_from_xory As Float, c_to_xory As Float) As Integer

l_ff! = t_from_frame / d_to_frame
l_ff! = l_ff! - 1.0
l_val! = c_to_xory *(l_ff! * l_ff! * l_ff! + 1.0) + b_from_xory
l_ret% = int(l_val!)

return l_ret%

End Function

The question is when I get the newY (in my case), do I need to just redraw the whole row with the same Y and then the rows below it with a delta Y to make it look like it will scroll ? I am only using the 2D API to accomplish this and am just trying to make sense of the easing concept to accomplish this
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

Are you scrolling off screen and need the ability to wrap around again to bottom/top ? If so what are the size of your posters
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

Also what size is the space between the posters as well as the margin or space between the rows
0 Kudos
coredump
Visitor

Here are the sizes of the posters :

poster_height = 285
poster_row_pad = 50
poster_width = 201
poster_column_pad = 50

I have one row of 3 posters shown completely at the top and a row of posters cropped on underneath it. when I hit the down button obviously the intent is to have the cropped images below come into full view and the next row cropped the way it was before. When I reach the bottom the user would have to scroll all the way back up, no wrapping
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

how are you cropping ( not displaying all of the bitmap ) the bottom row? Are you using regions or just bitmaps and roScreen? Are you creating a region within your roScreen? Your poster height + margin * row number ( which includes the background margin at the bottom) would not crop in a 1280 * 720 resolution. ( 285 + 50 ) * 2 = 670, if you start your rows at the very top
You can create a region within roScreen and use that region to crop for you. Then you can place your region anywhere within the bounds of the roScreen. You are limited as to what you can do with that region but you can certainly drawObject with different offsets and it will crop it properly
0 Kudos