Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Green2ski

Re: remote drains batteries way to fast

Jump to solution

Some things I've tried:  I take the batteries out of the remote if I'm not going to use it for a few days.  This helps preserve them.  Occasionally, if you open the battery compartment and spin the batteries in their place with your thumb, the signal will reset.  Also, I have taken a battery out and put it back in, which also made the remote work.  In the settings menu, you can see what percentage the batteries have left.  Whenever I am able to make it work with batteries I have, the screen never reads "batteries low, replace."  There may be 30% or so left, which should be adequate - not!

0 Kudos
thejimmer
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am way beyond that now- Roku remotes with the ear plug is the issue i have- - I dont even use the remote any more- I use my phone now - as they say, no roku remote no battery usage -  

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Green2ski @thejimmer,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about your problems on your Roku remote, and we'll be glad to assist you further. 

Kindly note that we have sent you a private message through the Roku Community to help you resolve the issue. Please check your inbox, as we have contacted you from there.

We hope to hear back from you.

Best wishes,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Lorelski

Jump to solution

Same problem for me. The battery drainage was not a problem for the first few months, but now it is draining every couple of days.

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Lorelski,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for letting us know!

We'd love to further investigate this issue that you're having with the Roku remote since it will drain batteries. We have sent you a private message; kindly check your inbox.

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TomHardy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm having the exact same issue and it's driving me nuts. I have to replace the batteries every couple days now, which is not just annoying, but expensive. 

I followed the advice elsewhere to restart the the device and re-pair the remote to the device, but that didn't help. It's still doing it. 

This seems to have started in the last couple months, possibly with an update. It was never a problem before. 

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

We're grateful to have you here in the Roku Community, @TomHardy!

Thank you for sharing your input about the issues you've been experiencing with your Roku remote, and we apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. No worries! We're here to provide further information about this. 

Before we proceed, may we know what specific Roku remote (Identify your remote) you have? Is this the remote that comes with your Roku player (kindly specify)? 

Nevertheless, Roku remotes are designed to go the distance, but there are a few things that will drain a remote a bit faster:

• Heavy usage of private listening on the remote itself--using the mobile app will save your batteries!
  • Congested Wi-Fi network around the device--the reason for this is that most remotes will use RF to connect to your Roku player and constant reconnection will use more battery.
  • Or viewing lots of short-form content, like YouTube, where a streamer could go through a few hundred button presses in an hour.

By the way, we also offer the Voice Remote Pro, which is a rechargeable remote with private listening, voice search, and voice commands, two programmable shortcut buttons, and a lost remote finder, and you'll never buy a pack of batteries again. It also comes with the latest Roku Ultra and the Plus Series Roku TV made by Roku.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jjoannad

Jump to solution
  • I guess everyone is having the same issue.. thought I was the only one. Having to change the batteries  everyday is very expensive. Now i have to use the app because the current batteries exploded in my remote and i’m scared to take them out. 
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Greetings from the Roku Community, @jjoannad!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. 

We have sent you a Private Message regarding this matter. Please check your inbox now for further assistance. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BulldogJoe

Jump to solution

Same problem for me - batteries draining in a matter of days.