Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zlbflux
Reel Rookie

brand new Roku Express only works with old remote, will not pair with new one

I purchased a Roku express from Walmart yesterday, which comes with the Roku unit, and HDMI cable and the remote. However, it will only function or respond to the old remote from my Roku that I had bought years ago, and when I try to pair the remote that came with it, it keeps asking me which kind of voice remote I have and the Roku express only comes with a simple remote, so I don't understand why it is asking me this question in the first place. As a result, it is impossible for me to pair the remote that came with the unit and I cannot figure out any solution. 

Zach B
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: brand new Roku Express only works with old remote, will not pair with new one

With simple remote you do not have to pair at all. With old remote just make sure Roku is on the home screen. With new batteries and put in the proper way, old remotes have the batteries in opposite ways, current remotes put the batteries in the same way. And just use, if it doesn't control the Roku, it might be faulty. You check if the new remote emits IR commands by looking through your cellphone camera as you press a button, if see a flash its working, no flash its broken. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
zlbflux
Reel Rookie

Re: brand new Roku Express only works with old remote, will not pair with new one

thanks for your suggestion, but I contacted Chad Support and by way of looking up the serial number he informed me that this unit was faulty and that I will need to return or exchange it

Zach B
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.