Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
helski1975

battery acid in remote control

I have a roku stick and remote and this evening i went to turn it on and it didn't work.

I opened the back of the remote to find a dry white substance i believe to be battery acid. 

These were the batteries supplied by Roku in August 2023. What's going on? 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
monophoto
Streaming Star

Re: battery acid in remote control

I assume you purchased your Roku in August 2023.  However, it probably was sitting on a dealer's shelf for months, so you don't really know how old the battery was.  And my experience is that the batteries furnished in electronic devices are seriously inferior to the major-label batteries that you can get from a hardware/grocery/big box store, and they don't last nearly as long.

So suggestions:

First, using a cotton swab and a little water, remove the battery residue in the remote.  It's probably acidic, but it's not 'battery acid' in the same way that the electrolyte in a car battery is acid, but even so, you want to be a little careful with it.  If you have rubber/nitrile gloves, wear them, and be careful how you dispose of the swab when you are done.  Use a little paper towel to dry the interior of the remote after cleaning it, and dispose of the paper towel the same way you got rid of the swab. 

Then, install a fresh alkaline battery in the remote.  I won't mention any particular brands, but I will say that a battery from one of the major battery manufacturers will last much longer than a no-name or store-brand battery.  But the key word is fresh - make sure that the expiration date on the package is a couple of years out. 

Finally, when the remote starts acting sluggish, replace the battery.   The output of an alkaline battery declines somewhat gradually as the battery nears the end of its life, and that often causes a remote to be slow - you may have to press buttons a bit harder, or perhaps longer, before the TV responds, and that's a sign that the battery needs to be replaced.  You want to replace the battery before it gets so old that the electrolyte starts to leak out of the cell.

You may find other battery technologies available in your local store - old-fashioned 'carbon cell' batteries are less expensive than alkaline, and there are other technologies that are more expensive.  My experience is that carbon cells are a waste of money - alkaline batteries are simply far better - and while there are other, more expensive batteries available, they are better suited for specialized applications.  In general, the overall characteristics of alkaline batteries are ideal for ordinary, indoor household electronics such as remotes and smoke detectors.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: battery acid in remote control

Hi @helski1975,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that the presence of acid in the battery compartment of your Roku remote is causing you problems. We would be delighted to help you further. For us to proceed with the appropriate action to resolve this, could you please send us a private message with your current shipping address and phone number?

To send a private message:

1. Sign in to the community.
  2. Click the message count or envelope icon to go to your Private Messages Inbox.
  3. Click Compose New Message.
  4. Enter the recipient's name in the Send to area.
  5. Note: Depending on your role in the community, you might be able to send a message to a group of users based on their role or rank in the community. If so, you can choose a role or a rank.
  6. Enter the subject for the message in the Message Subject area.
  7. Type the reply in the Message Body editor.
  8. Click Send Message.
  9. You can look for the messages you've sent in the Sent tab.

To learn more about how to send a private message, click this community link: Help: Roku Community
We'll be anticipating it!

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.