Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
packetrat
Binge Watcher

Re: Why are there no numbers on remote?

Jump to solution

If I may suggest one helpful and relatively easy/inexpensive thing Roku could do, purely as a software update: without changing bundled remotes, simply add infrared button codes for digits 0 through 9.  The NEC infrared protocol Roku uses allows for 256 possible codes, of which no Roku seems to use more than 24.  I understand you want to reserve most free code positions for future sponsored buttons, but reserving 10 for digits would still leave about 85% free for this purpose.

This way, the included remotes can still be small and simple-looking, but third-party remote sellers could provide inexpensive aftermarket options for people who want direct number entry.  There are already many vendors like this across Amazon & eBay, and some listed remotes do already include digits ... they just won't work with a Roku.

Since digit entry is recognized now for Roku TV local-channel tuning over the networked ECP protocol (thanks!), as with my example script above, and probably some other apps listen for digits too, no application-level changes should be required.

This wouldn't help people with Streaming Sticks, those lacking an IR receiver, but ever other model of Roku and Roku TV could benefit.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why are there no numbers on remote?

Jump to solution

@packetrat 

There already are advanced codes or EFC's for numerical keys 0-9 for stand-alone Roku's. I personally found them back in Sept of 2022:

JP1 Remotes :: View topic - EFCs for Roku (STB version) (hifi-remote.com):

0- 00101
1- 00230
2- 00232
3- 00228
4- 00235
5- 00231
6- 00233
7- 00100 or 00108
8- 00106 or 00114
9- 00102 or 00110

Ch UP- 00183
Ch Down- 00185

Of course you would need UEI universal remote with setup code 03061 or 3061. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.