Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Olav1
Reel Rookie

Using Streambar without TV

I got my Roku Streambar 3 weeks ago, the main reason for buying the compact Streambar was to improve sound on my 32 inch Philips TV and to stream radio/music via Bluetooth directly to the Streambar.
Setting up the Streambar was easy and I'm happy with the improved sound quality on my TV.

I have connected my iPhone in Settings - Remotes & Devices - Remotes - Smartphones & Tablets.
It works ok to connect my with Airplay and Bluetooth to the Roku Streambar, but then the TV screen is on.
I would prefer to play radio/music on the Streambar with the TV off.

Is it possible to use the Streambar for the audio/radio without turning on the TV?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Using Streambar without TV

Hi @Olav1,

Greetings and welcome to the Roku Community!

We appreciate you sharing your inquiry with us. Fast TV Start is a feature of Roku TV that lets you listen to music when the TV screen is off, wake your TV, and perform various actions using voice commands. When Fast TV Start is enabled, your Roku TV always maintains the connection with it's built-in speakers or a Roku Streambar®, even when the TV is in standby. This allows you to use them to listen to audio content at any time, whether the screen is off or on. For more information regarding this, kindly refer to ous support article at this link: How to listen to music when the screen on your Roku TV is off

If you have further inquiries or concerns, please let us know.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Olav1
Reel Rookie

Hi,

Thanks for your update.
I understand that Fast TV Start is a feature of Roku TV that lets you listen to music when the TV screen is off.
I got a Philips TV that I think do not support Fast TV Start?

I thought that Roku Streambar also would function like a standard Bluetooth speaker, make it possible to stream radio/music direct to the Streambar from my iPhone/iPad.
Ref. from Roku website about the Streambar: 'Bluetooth® private listening & music streaming'.

Regards
Olav

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Olav1, are you saying your TV isn't a Roku TV or it is, but you don't have the "Fast TV Start" option?

Here's a hack I've used to get my Streambar to be usable without it being connected to a TV -  I connect an HDMI dummy plug to the Streambar.  My problem with the Streambar is a little different than yours.  I want to be able to start my Roku music streaming channel/app and then turn off the TV, but as soon as I turn off the TV the Streambar kills the app.  I also got an HDMI switch so I can switch the Streambar from the TV to the dummy plug without having to disconnect anything. My hope was that I could start a channel/app on the Streambar while watching what I was doing on the TV and then switch to the dummy plug, but it didn't work. As soon as I switch, the channel is killed.  I can blindly start the channel with the Streambar connected to the dummy plug and it works for my purposes. Definitely a hack, but sometimes that's what you have to resort to with Roku devices.

@RokuTakashi , why don't you pass it up the chain that Roku really, really should allow users to turn off the TV without killing the running channel on the Streambar and allow users to stream music via Bluetooth without having to have the TV on.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Olav1
Reel Rookie

Hi,

@renojim, My TV is Philips 32PFT5603/12.
I agree on your comment that Roku should allow users to stream music to the Streambar via Bluetooth without having to have the TV on.

I expected that Roku Streambar could be used as a standard Bluetooth speaker with direct streaming.

@RokuTakashiThis is up to you to comment on what Roku can do about Bluetooth streaming to the Streambar without TV. This should be an easy function to add on the the Streambar.

Regards
Olav

0 Kudos
Olav1
Reel Rookie

@RokuTakashi

Do you got comment on what Roku can do about Bluetooth streaming to the Streambar without TV?
It should be an easy function to add on the the Streambar.

0 Kudos