I moved my Roku Ultra from downstairs to upstairs next to the router, DVD, and LAN switch and it started dropping remote sound to my headphones attached to the remote control. After much effort including moving the it back downstairs, where it worked OK, I traced the root cause to a bad LAN cable. The headphone dropouts went away when I switched to a better shielded LAN cable.
Update to previous post I also confirmed the Roku master unit is susceptible to RFI corruption if it is to near things like AC power lines.
I just bought the Ultra with the thought that the headphone would be a great solution for watching without disturbing everyone else. The Roku works well but the headphone keeps dropping audio. Tried the reset but did not help. I installed the Roku app on my Galaxy S7 and used the headphone through it. Worked fine. So the remote seems to be the issue. I can see why Roku dropped the price recently.
I recently commented on a similar anomaly. The Roku worked great with Bose headphones, audio to TV is cut and rerouted to the remote. However it started having repeated dropouts at a second location, upstairs vs downstairs. There were 2 changes that implied that it was a RFI (radio frequency interference) induced problem. The first was changing the LAN cable to a higher quality one, probably not the root cause but it also repositioned the unit away from nearby AC power cords. Spare lengths of 120 VAC power cord were bundled up within a few inches of the master unit when the problem occurred. I moved the master unit about a foot from the AC lines and the problem was resolved. The low voltage power lines for adjacent DVD player, and LAN switch were not a problem.
I agree. I have a Roku 3 and never have issues with the headphones connected to the remote. I got the ultra in early March and has had issues from the get-go. After a while of listening to the headset I want to say less than an hour it will just disconnect from the headset and has woke up my baby in the house as a result. I’ve changed out the batteries, I have restarted the Roku, reset the Roku. I have tried the headphones that came with the Roku 3 in the ultra and it still didn’t work which makes me believe there’s something wrong with the ultra remote. I’m hoping the replacement that Roku is sending me will work but if it doesn’t I might start going to eBay to look for a Roku 3 (since that version hasn’t been a problem) and just return this Ultra all together.
This is the solution. I moved mine about 8 inches (down one shelf on my book shelf) away from a power strip and the audio was fixed immediately.
Before that, I had tried resetting the remote, but that did not help. I use a LAN cable, so not a wifi issue.
Bought new Ultra March 2020. Several issues: Intermittent headphone static; Remote occasionally became inoperable requiring to remove & reinstall batteries; Stopped using the headset for a few months, then tried again one day and upon inserting head phones there was very noticeable sizzle that literally fried the remote. As a long time Roku user it’s disappointing to see such poor quality and lack of design integrity. They should acknowledge their failure and terminate those engaged with putting such junk on the market.