Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Re: USB Power Cable with Long-range Wireless Receiver

A new Roku Streaming Stick 4K is only $40. It’s not like your spending $1000. The replacement cable is $20. For a mere $20 more you can get a new Roku and they’re in stock

0 Kudos
MCoogan70
Reel Rookie

I received this as a gift a little over a year ago and now you are telling me the remote is on it’s way out?  I realize the Roku’s are relatively cheap, but I still expected some assistance other than “oh well, warranty expired, go buy a new one.” So many people having the same problem as me, so clearly there is a defect here, and no attempt for a customer friendly solution.  I’m tired of arguing, I will try another streaming device.  

TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

This is about the long range Wi-Fi cable. Has nothing to do with the remote. Do you need a new replacement cable or do you need a new remote? A replacement Long range Wi-Fi cable is $20. They are not free. For another $20 you can buy a new Roku. I don’t see the issue. If you think it should be covered under warranty then fill out a warranty claim. But since the device is over a year old it probably isn’t covered. Listen these aren’t $1200 iPhones. They are $40 streaming devices. 

https://support.roku.com/article/208757058

0 Kudos
Cherieb
Reel Rookie

Well, this was my second Roku device failure. Last time, we just purchased another new one. I was not about to do that again. I would have moved on but not with Roku. To the credit of Roku, I have to say that I am very happy with the response I have gotten from Roku customer service this time. We will stick with Roku after all. 

TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Exactly what is failing? Maybe it’s something on your set up? I have 6 Roku Devices. 3 Roku streaming stick 4K, 1 Roku Ultra and 2 TCL Roku TV’s. None of them have any issues and the Ultra is about three years old in the sticks are about 2 years old. Can you tell me exactly what is failing? 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

@TrooperDada326 

Do you know what a "Long Range Wireless Receiver" is? The Streaming Stick+ 3810 & 3811 need this cable for remote and internet Reception, without it the remote won't communicate with Roku. And it will not have Internet either. So its big deal, Roku has been out of stock for months. The newer 3820 & 3821 sticks use different cable, but it is the same with them, no cable no roku. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

I do know what the cable is. It’s called long range cause it boosts the WiFi signal which on certain models is also used for the remote. It’s not a big deal. As inexpensive as Roku‘s are it’s not a big deal. If a Roku was $1000 I could see the issue. But there’s no reason to make mountains out of mole hills. 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

It doesn't just boost, it's the only way a roku remote will communicate with the stick+, you can't replace it with ordinary usb cable. This cable isn't available anywhere else but from Roku, if it will ever be in stock. Many have theirs go bad on them. I had an extra and shipped it to someone last week for no cost. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

@Tivoburkee  I am fully aware of the cable and what it does. I own 3 Roku Streaming Sticks. I also knew enough to not to let the cable (dongle) just dangle loosely. So I used a Velcro strip and attached it to the power cable of the TV. I also looped it around and used another cable to attach it to the TV. None of my Roku Sticks have issues and they are 2-3 years old. The cable is $20 and out of stock. A new Roku stick is $40. Do the math. It’s not worth waiting around for a cable that’s half the cost of a new device. Buy yourself a new Roku and move on. If any of mine broke I certainly wouldn’t post about it on here I would just go buy a new one

0 Kudos
CrystalsStream
Binge Watcher

No offense, but if you "don't see the issue," why don't you bi-pass this thread?

0 Kudos