Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bnb675

Roku ultra remote batteries lasted 2 days

How do I contact support?

Just purchased my 3rd Roku ultra 2 weeks ago and the remote batteries lasting 2 to 3 days. 

2 out 3 Roku ultra are having this issue. 

The 3rd one lasts months before needing batteries. 

Please help

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Ctyson
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku ultra remote batteries lasted 2 days

Same here. I just purchased 2 ultras plus a streaming stick.  The batteries in one of the ultras are out!! Kaput in 5 days.  I may just return them if the others drain as quick. Help!!!  And my Roku is not connected to usb to power up but to electrical outlet 

0 Kudos
DawnC
Binge Watcher

Did anyone ever get back to you?  I think the customer service is terrible.  They should have someone available by phone or at the least on line chat.  I am having the same problem.  This is not right.  

0 Kudos
Patsween
Reel Rookie

Our remote for new Roku Ultra 4800RW; Ser.# S02C213GLW4C is also draining batteries every couple of days. Anyone get a reply on a fix ?

0 Kudos
TomD199
Reel Rookie

In Jan 2022, I bought a Model # 3810X with exactly the same problem. My batteries last around 2 days. If you do a google search, you'll find that Roku has known about this problem for years but is unable to either design a workaround or to replace the offending hardware. How many decades have trouble free remotes been out there?

I've read everything I could find and tried all the posted workarounds or cures to absolutely no effect. My streaming stick is plugged into the wall and my unit has all the upgrades. If you do a little research, you'll find a lot of people with multiple remotes, some of which have the problem and some don't. From that, I deduce that it's a hardware problem with some of the remotes.

I have a hard time believing that an actual company with actual engineers can't make a functional remote. I'm pretty sure that Roku just doesn't really care enough to spend the money to replace the defective remotes. Four years of working on this problem without success? No, no way. I'm an engineer and if my engineering department couldn't fix this problem in 4 years, I would fire the lot of them instantly. But the problem is further up the line with the management who, for whatever reason, won't deal with the problem.

Here's my workaround. After replacing the batteries every two days and eating through almost my entire AAA battery supply, it was obvious that wasn't a good long term situation. I have a Ni-Cad battery charger already and bought 4 AAA rechargeable batteries that can be recharged around 2000 times. When the 2 remote batteries drain, there are always 2 freshly charged batteries in the charger waiting to be used.

Really long term solution: buy the next streaming stick from a manufacturer that give a flip about customer support and warranty of defective product.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @TomD199

We're here to help!

Please reply here with the serial number of the Roku device associated with the affected remote. It can be found in Settings > System > About. I'll be able to further assist you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
TomD199
Reel Rookie

YH003V293148

0 Kudos
Patsween
Reel Rookie

Tom- FYI: Roku replaced our remote with a rechargeable model which seems to have fixed the battery drainage problem for us. The downside is that it took about 8 weeks to arrive and doesn't seem to send a "low battery" notice to the TV. So far, looks like the charge lasts about a week.

0 Kudos
TomD199
Reel Rookie

Thanks for that.

A week is better but hardly acceptable. I've had remotes of various kinds for decades. The TV & DVD remotes last years, my bluetooth mouse and keyboard both last well over 6 months despite constant use. A remote that drains batteries in a week or less is a defective design.

I know than any competent engineer or even electronics tech could find where the power is going within a couple of hours. Do a google search and this has been a problem for years. This is a company that has issued a defective product and refuses to make it right.

Just wait until someone starts a class action.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@TomD199

Thanks for the response.

I have forwarded your concern and information to our team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos