Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mglitwin
Reel Rookie

HDMI extender caused a no signal

I just received a new HDMI extender.  I sent for this because my Roku stick is at a bad angle to get into my HDMI port.  Plugged it in, went to start up and got no signal. 
took the extender out and plugged the stick directly back in and my signal came back ?  Don’t get why that happened?  Tried a reset on the stick.  Plugged into USB.  White light never stayed on.  Blinked and went out.  

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
cwcheese
Roku Guru

Re: HDMI extender caused a no signal

where did you buy or get the HDMI extender? sad to say, but there's a lot of junk parts out in the wild these days, especially those sold on that retail site that sounds like a giant river in Brazil. it may be a faulty unit you received.

don't call me expert, just a long time Roku user that seen a lot of things
0 Kudos
mglitwin
Reel Rookie

I waited and got it from Roku.  Just tried to hook it up the first time.  Thought it would be an easy plug in and go.  No luck

0 Kudos
cwcheese
Roku Guru

Yikes. That's frightening to know.  I've typically ordered such parts at Monoprice or MicroCenter where I can trust the retailer. I've even used an HDMI coupler : Female-Female to serve as an HDMI extender, plug the coupler into the end of a Male-Male HDMI cable and the streaming stick into the other side.

Alas, there is no more Radio Shack, where I used to go to get electronics parts and be able to test them at the store.

don't call me expert, just a long time Roku user that seen a lot of things
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@mglitwin 

It certainly sounds as if the extender is bad. And as others suggested, sometimes you can't trust third party ones. But yours from Roku is a very unfortunate thing. It could indeed be bad. Of course, try reseating it -- although I expect you already did that, it's good troubleshooting to suggest it again -- and see if it makes any difference. Or another HDMI port. And, I realize the port works without the extender, but try it anyway, just to be sure.

Some of the trustworthy third party ones might be worth trying. Or contact @RokuDanny-R , @RokuKariza-D , or @RokuMary-F about replacing an accessory. They may tell you to order another one. Just use the same serial number.

I've used one before, and it worked. So, it's likely you just got a bad one. It happens.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@mglitwin

Thanks for the post. I'm sorry to hear about the experience—that's not what we aim for.

It seems like you may have a defective HDMI extender. At this point in time, the best course of action would be to request another HDMI extender and see if that one works better.

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting the HDMI extender and Roku device to another TV to see if you are experiencing the same issue?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mglitwin
Reel Rookie

Hi Danny.  I waited for the back order so this is really disappointing 

I have tried different system, HDMI ports.  All with no success.  So I have to wait months again?  
thank you for the response, but still hard to wait again. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@mglitwin

Thanks for the update.

Can you please provide the serial number/device ID on your Roku device? Once we have this information, I'll be able to pass it along to our Support team who can assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@mglitwin-

There's nothing special about the Roku HDMI extender, it's just a short (4 inches or so) HDMI extension cord with an HDMI plug at one end and an HDMI socket at the other. I use one several feet long to locate my Streaming Stick+ in an equipment closet on the other side of the wall from my TV. You may be able to find an HDMI extension locally or at a non-Roku online vendor and get one faster than waiting for Roku to process your order and ship it to you. Or use a female-to-female HDMI connector to connect your Roku Stick to a regular (non-extension) HDMI cord.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X