Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RolandW2020
Channel Surfer

Roku remote will not connect to my RCA tv

I recently got a Roku Ultra to replace the Streaming Stick+ on our first flat-screen TV, an old RCA L40FHD41. RCA Code 14 at first seemed to work for volume/mute, but not for on/off. Then all of a sudden it started working. It seems that I have to aim the Roku remote very precisely at the TV's remote sensor, which is in the middle just under the screen.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku remote will not connect to my RCA tv

@RolandW2020 

Yes, the Voice Remotes are really two remotes in one shell. 

They control the Roku via WiFi-direct and so each must be paired to the individual Roku it is to control.  These WiFi signsls do not require you to point the remote at the Roku.

The TV controls (power, volume, and mute) are sent to the TV by infrared (IR) signals that can be recognized by the TV, sent from the panel at the top end of the remote.  IR signals are line-of-sight so the remote should be pointed at the TV.  There are many different sets of IR commands so the remote has to be configured to use a set recognized by your TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
RolandW2020
Channel Surfer

Interesting, thank you. By "WiFi-direct," do you mean that the remote and the Ultra communicate with each other over 2.4GHz independent of my regular WiFi networks? So since I have the Ultra connected to my LAN by an ethernet cable, I don't need WiFi in the house at all for the remote to work? I suspect that is the case since another Ultra that I bought at the same time is hardwired, and it does not show as a WiFi client in the topology graphic for my UDM SE console. The one connected to the old RCA does show, of course, since I haven't had time to run a cable to it yet. My policy is: If it doesn't move, hardwire it. 😊

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

My understanding is that WiFi-direct is just that -- a direct connection between the WiFi systems of both units, not going through the local LAN. That's what you're doing when you pair the remote to the Roku it is many meant to control - you're configuring the WiFi-direct connection between them.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X