Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hessingerb
Reel Rookie

Roku remote quickly drains batteries, I even changed remote and it still occurs.

Still killing the battery even after switching remotes.

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Hessingerb
Reel Rookie

ROKE voice Remote RC848 killing batteries

We have been installing batteries daily in our Roku Voice remote Model RC848.

i have done the setup several times, updated firmware and have completed a factory reset.

What else?

we are frustrated

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku remote quickly drains batteries, I even changed remote and it still occurs.

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @Hessingerb!

Thank you for letting us know about the issues you've experienced with the battery health of your Roku remote. We want to provide further information about this.

Roku remotes are built to be long-lasting, but several factors can contribute to quicker battery drain.
  • Frequent use of private listening on the remote itself can drain your batteries quickly. Try using the Roku mobile app to conserve battery life!
  • There is a congested Wi-Fi network around the device. The reason for this is that most remotes use RF to connect to your Roku player, and constant reconnection will use more battery.
  • Or viewing lots of short-form content, like YouTube, where a streamer could use a few hundred button presses in an hour.

By the way, we also offer the Roku Voice Remote Pro and Voice Remote Pro 2nd Edition, which is a rechargeable remote with private listening, voice search, voice commands, and a lost remote finder. You'll never buy a pack of batteries again. It also comes with the latest Roku Ultra and the Plus Series Roku TV made by Roku.

We hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
keithx13
Streaming Star

Re: Roku remote quickly drains batteries, I even changed remote and it still occurs.

In order to keep batteries from dying quickly in our remotes, we have the battery cover permanently off and we remove one of the batteries every time we get done with the Roku.  That way the remote only stays active, and draining the batteries, while we are using the Roku.  Our remotes started draining batteries in 2021 after an OS update.  None of the updates since then have corrected this issue.

And before I get the standard response from Roku that it’s not their problem, or that I should give them more money and get a new remote, don’t waste my time or yours.  If Roku wants to step up and take responsibility, replace the defective remotes at no cost to the customer.

Asx3

What’s the solution? This is an absurd problem. 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.