Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ahchoo
Channel Surfer

Roku remote power and volume stopped working

My enhanced Roku remote randomly stopped working. I tried to repair my remote, that failed. I noticed one very weird thing. My 'enhanced remote' is being recognized as a 'Gaming remote'.

I checked and my Roku has not been updated since December. My LG tv is disconnected from any network connection and has not been updated in months. I think Roku has pushed out a bad firmware update to remotes, most likely to enhanced remotes that do not have the mute button, that changes the remotes to be recognized as a 'Gaming remote' instead of an 'enhanced remote'. A 'gaming remote' does not have the IR emitter. I believe that my remote thinks it is a 'gaming remote' and wont send IR signals to the TV due to that bad configuration.

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku remote power and volume stopped working

There was gaming remote with tv IR on board, it was the RC-AL4, what makes it a Gaming remote isn't lack of TV IR, its the Green & Blue(or black A & B keys) gaming buttons. If a remote has them its indentified as a gaming remote. It shouldn't mean a thing to you, only its performance. 🙂

Non-IR tv Gaming remotes will not have a Tv power key. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Ahchoo
Channel Surfer

Why does my remote no longer control my TV. I've repaired the remote, the IR frequency selection (when the remote play music and cycles frequencies to stop the music) does not work. I've cycles through every option. This literally worked a few days ago. Nothing has changed in my setup.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Re-pairing the remote to the roku NEVER fixes the tv programming on the roku remote. Its separate procedure that doesn't use the pairing button. When re-programming the tv try vizio or goldstar as the tv brand. 

settings> remote & devices> remote> remote in USE> program tv> follow prompts

Edmund

0 Kudos
Ahchoo
Channel Surfer

I tried repairing it because I thought that was going to be the first question I was asked.

I have gone through the process of resetting the IR emitter using Vizio, GoldStar, and LG as the TV Brand with all possible options. Nothing works. This was working perfectly fine not too long ago.

My remotes firmware version is 2.01.19.108. When was that released?

I'm pretty positive my TV has not updated since I have it disabled from network. My Roku says it has not updated since December. If its not the firmware I am down to the remote being physically broken, but nothing out of the ordinary has happened to the remote in the past few weeks. I even replaced the batteries just to be sure. I'm going absolutely insane here. I had zero issues with this. I've even done this process of pairing the IR emitter to my TV a couple of times before and it always worked. Why did it stop now?!?!?!?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Anything blocking the tv IR sensor? Do you have any remote that controls the tv? To see if its the tv thats broken? 

Edmund

0 Kudos
Ahchoo
Channel Surfer

The LG remote works just fine. I think I am going to buy another Roku remote. I see that the newer voice remotes have a mute button now. That would be nice to have anyway. Hopefully this works, my remote just broke, and it is not actually software. The remote is a few years old, so maybe it had enough abuse. Thanks for the help! I will report back in a few days.

0 Kudos
murielle
Reel Rookie

Did you buy a new remote? Did that solve the problem?
Having the same problem.  Remote suddenly stopped controlling power & volume. After an on line chat, a phone call and email with ROKU waiting for a solution.
Have tried the variety of solutions or fixes and nothing worked.
Looks like may need a patch to fix???
It's an enhanced remote and a VIZIO TV.

The ROKU system is less than 1 year old.

0 Kudos
Ahchoo
Channel Surfer

I bought another remote and the new remote works. I have zero clue why my old remote stopped working. I find it hard to believe that the IR sensor just stopped working. I think its a firmware issue with the remote, but I doubt Roku cares enough to investigate.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@murielle

Thanks for the post.

What Roku model device are you using that came with the remote? Have you already tried re-pairing the remote to the TV to see if that resolves the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos