Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mfishco
Channel Surfer

Roku remote not controlling Insignia TV

Jump to solution

Hello.

I have a 3820R2 - Streaming Stick 4K.  I am trying to pair a RC-GZ1 remote to my Insignia TV.  The TV model is NS-32D3 12NA 155.  

When I attempt to run through the remote setup for the TV I choose Insignia as the brand and none of the 18 options seem to control the TV.  Are there any other TV make types that might work?  Or anything I can do to try to get the Roku remote to control the TV volume and power?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mfishco
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku remote not controlling Insignia TV

Jump to solution

I heard back from Insignia.  Here is what they said:

Thank you for reaching out to Insignia. My name is Carl, and I’m here to assist you with your Insignia - 32" LED 720p HDTV (NS-32D312NA15) issues.

Upon reviewing your question, I understand that you want to program your Roku Stick remote to control an Insignia TV. Unfortunately, it is not possible to use a Roku Stick remote to control an Insignia TV directly. The two devices use different operating systems and remote control protocols, making them incompatible for direct control.

I guess that's a dead end.  Obviously Roku remotes control some Insignia TV's.  I assume they are talking about my specific model.  Looks like I'll just use two remotes.  Anyway, I thought I'd post this here to let others know what Insignia said.   Appreciate everyone's assistance.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @mfishco,

Thank you for posting in the Roku Community!

We understand that you are having a hard time setting up your Roku remote for TV control, and we are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We are more than happy to help you with this concern.

We recommend you try to system restart your Roku device:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart : How to system restart your Roku streaming device

Also, try to check the latest software version on your Roku device:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Software update
  5. Select Check Now to manually check for updates.:  How to update the software on your Roku streaming device

After you tried the step-by-step process, please try again to set the Roku remote for the TV control.

For reference, you can visit our support article: How to set up your Roku voice remote to control your TV

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Regards,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

For Insignia, these have been suggested as alternates to try:
Dynex, Sansui, LG, and Duraband

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
mfishco
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for the suggestions.  After rebooting and updating the Roku (no update was needed) I still cannot control the TV.

0 Kudos
mfishco
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

thank you @makaiguy Unfortunately none of those makes worked either.  But I appreciate your efforts!

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

Possibly your TV will support control of volume, power, and mute functions via CEC (Consumer Electronic Control) commands sent to it over the HDMI connection instead of by direct line of sight infrared commands from the remote to the front of the TV

If so, this eliminates the need for your remote to contain and be set to the specific IR command set for your TV and eliminates the need to point your remote directly at the TV.   It can also be useful when Roku can't control auxiliary audio equipment directly but your TV can control it via a CEC connection. This formerly could only be set up via "Secret Menu" but it now has been added to the standard user interface

Settings > Remotes & devices > Remotes > √ {Your current remote} > Set up remote for TV control > CEC setup
... and follow the prompts. If this is not available on your TV, it will let you know it failed.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

I don't know the age of your model of Insignia, is it Fire tv model?  

I have dealing with Insignia questions for many years:

RC: Programming Codes for Insignia TV? (Page 1 of 5) (remotecentral.com)

If it is very old another brand of code to try is Mitsubishi. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
mfishco
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@Tivoburkee Lol I went to search for more information about my tv model and this post came up second on the google search after just a few hours.  Crazy.  In any event, the TV is probably 10 years old.  Maybe a little less.  It is a plain TV, not a smart TV.  The instruction book that came up as the first search result was copyrighted 2014 so looks like 10 years old is about right.

I tried all the Mitsubishi codes.  No joy.  But thank you!!  Using your blog for guidance I also tried Emerson, Admiral, Philips, Zenith, Hisense (both regular and Roku).  I'm going to write to insignia support which didn't occur to me before reading that thread you linked.  I'll report back any success.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
mfishco
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@makaiguy CEC setup did not work.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
mfishco
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I heard back from Insignia.  Here is what they said:

Thank you for reaching out to Insignia. My name is Carl, and I’m here to assist you with your Insignia - 32" LED 720p HDTV (NS-32D312NA15) issues.

Upon reviewing your question, I understand that you want to program your Roku Stick remote to control an Insignia TV. Unfortunately, it is not possible to use a Roku Stick remote to control an Insignia TV directly. The two devices use different operating systems and remote control protocols, making them incompatible for direct control.

I guess that's a dead end.  Obviously Roku remotes control some Insignia TV's.  I assume they are talking about my specific model.  Looks like I'll just use two remotes.  Anyway, I thought I'd post this here to let others know what Insignia said.   Appreciate everyone's assistance.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.