Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beabandisimarce
Reel Rookie

Roku premiere remote not working anymore

I have a Roku premiere and all of a sudden, the remote stopped responding. I replaced battery's, restarted the Roku etc. all the things it said I should try. The remote has no pairing button and the remove battery solution is not working either. Any Idea why this happens? 

all the troubleshooting tips from Roku, did not help.

Thank you for your help 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku premiere remote not working anymore

Point the remote at your phone's camera and look for a flash of light on its screen when you press buttons on the remote.  If you don't see any flashes, either the remote is dead or the batteries are dead.  If you do see flashes, hold the remote close to the Premiere and look for the light on it to flash when you press buttons on the remote.

You can also try the mobile app as a remote while you're trying to figure out what the problem is.

Roku Mobile App - Free for iOS® or Android™ | Roku

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Beabandisimarce
Reel Rookie

Thanks. I put new batteries and no flashes when i see on my phone's camera. so I am assuming the remote is dead.

when i use the roku app, it doesn't identify the roku premiere though. The roku premiere has been factory reset. and I am connected to the same wifi network on both devices.

0 Kudos
Marmotherder
Channel Surfer

I have a similar problem.  Roku Ultra with voice remote and Samsung Q60 65 series.  Also have the same Roku Ultra setup with a Vizio TV.  One Roku voice remote had very finicky volume controls.  We needed to press the up/down buttons close to the center, very hard and/or repeatedly. Then, I had a brilliant idea: download the Roku app.

The app seemed to work great.  I thought it had volume control.  Maybe, I remember incorrectly. But, by the time I removed the app, it no longer had a volume control button/icon.  So, app worked well, but did not provide a volume control button.

Once app was installed, volume, power and mute no longer worked on the dedicated voice remotes.  Have tried all suggestions and can't get the remotes back to functionality we had prior to installing the app.

Ready to start looking for Roku alternatives. 

0 Kudos
renojim

@Beabandisimarce, sorry, if you factory reset your device you'll need a working physical remote to do anything at this point.

@Marmotherder, you only get the volume controls on the app if you're connected to an actual Roku TV.  Using the app wouldn't affect the physical remote.  If you haven't already, try setting up the remote for TV control again.  If you have to press the buttons hard, the buttons may just be worn out.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
makaiguy

@Beabandisimarce-

After a factory reset, your Roku must be set up all over again, including establishing your network connection.  If you had no working remote to use after the factory reset then the Roku is not connected to your network.   The Roku app on a phone or tablet will only find Rokus that are already connected to the network.

The only Premiere model with an Ethernet port for wired connection to your network was the old Premiere+ model 4630 released in 2016.  If you happen to have this specific old model, if you connect it to your network via an Ethernet cable, the next time you power it up it should at least connect to your net.  At that point the Roku app on your phone/tablet should find it and enable you to use the app to complete the setup and control the Roku.  Using the app you can even re-establish your WiFi connection, allowing you to remove the Ethernet connection if you wish.  If successful you can continue to use the app as your remote and/or get a replacement remote.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Marmotherder
Channel Surfer

So, it was a coincidence that the remote stopped working immediately after connecting the app to the Ultra?

0 Kudos
Marmotherder
Channel Surfer

What?  If you are suggesting a factory reset, that is fine.  Maybe that is the best alternative. But, I did not perform a factory reset. That is not the source of the problem. 

0 Kudos
Marmotherder
Channel Surfer

I tried a factory reset.  The power and volume buttons still don't work.  I'm on my 2nd Ultra, each came with a remote, have needed to replace one remote before this fiasco (not cheap compared to the price of the Ultra + remote package) and the Roku branded standalone remote doesn't work as well as the remote that came with the Ultra.  So, prior to Roku's decisions to start forcing ads on the home screen, I was debating whether to replace a remote again, or just get a NVIDIA Shield or Apple TV box.  The decision is getting easier 😉 

0 Kudos
Marmotherder
Channel Surfer

I tried a factory reset.  The power and volume buttons still don't work.  I'm on my 2nd Ultra, each came with a remote, have needed to replace one remote before this fiasco (not cheap compared to the price of the Ultra + remote package) and the Roku branded standalone remote doesn't work as well as the remote that came with the Ultra.  So, prior to Roku's decisions to start forcing ads on the home screen, I was debating whether to replace a remote again, or just get a NVIDIA Shield or Apple TV box.  The decision is getting easier 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.