Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MemoryLaneTV
Channel Surfer

Roku for people living with dementia and their caregivers: access the Apps from away!!!! Help!!!

Hello Roku community out there!!! Please help! 

It is a real problem indeed for people living with dementia and Alzheimer's disease to navigate the Roku App and access a streaming channel for our community: Memory Lane TV.  We would like to be able to do 2 things and this way help almost 6 million Americans who are livoing with dementia and are in the same predicament. 

1. Simplify the Roku Remote to be able to program ONE button that directly accesses the Memory lane TV App. How do we do that? Can you please share a tutorial on how to program one button to go to a specific app please. 

2. Because even after launching the app you still need to navigate the content and taht can be complicated for someone with dementia. Is there a way for us care partners to control the app from away (at work during the day for example) to be able to launch the APP (I know that we can start the tv remotely through IR remotes but that does NOT control the APP) and navigate the content?

IR system does not work but it seems that we should be able to control the roku even when NOT on the same wifi if we are log in. it would be a functionality that we very much need!!! there are more than 6MM of us out there. If it does not exist, can we pay someone to develop it specifically? Can we pay Roku to do this for our community?  

3; Could we pay someone to create that App that would do that, ie control the Roku from a distance? 

Thank you all for your contribution

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
fredneck
Roku Guru

Re: Roku for people living with dementia and their caregivers: access the Apps from away!!!! Help!!

Sounds like what you want to do is a great idea. If your Roku has personal shortcut buttons, these two buttons can be programmed to do what you need them to do. 

To make things easier, I'd recommend checking out the instructions provided in the guide "Mastering Roku Remote Shortcuts for Enhanced User Experience." You can find the detailed steps you need right here: Mastering Roku Remote Shortcuts for Enhanced User Experience.

I hope this guide helps you access the apps and makes the Roku experience smoother for everyone.

Roku is my favorite streamer, mkvXstream.com has my favorite Roku channels
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.