Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
madmax2069
Binge Watcher

Roku Remote Volume runaway. And Why doesn't Roku boxes support full HDMI CEC?

Hello I have two problems

I've been wanting to use my TVs (Sony X900H) remote to control my Roku ultra over HDMI CEC due to the issue that seems to be plaguing the Roku remotes here lately (I'm also seeing with mine), but it seems that Roku boxes do not have full support for HDMI CEC, it only offers to switch the TVs input when you touch a button on the Roku remote. 

The reason why I want to use my TV remote over HDMI CEC is that I can no longer trust the remote for my Roku Ultra for volume control as its often cranking up or down the volume levels by itself depending on if I was turning up or down the volume at the time it happens even when I'm no longer pressing the volume button. So I have to use multiple remotes, one to control the Roku, and my TV remote to control the volume as I don't dare touch the volume button on the Roku remote.

The weird thing with the sticking volume is that the volume buttons themselves aren't physically sticking, and the contacts inside the remote for the volume button isn't sticking. This seems to be purely a software based issue/Bug in the remotes firmware itself. 

I can use my TVs remote to control all of my other streaming boxes (Amazon fire stick, Apple TV 4K, even my Blu-ray player) but not the Roku box as it only offers you to switch the TVs input when you touch a button on the Roku remote and doesn't offer you a way to actually control the Roku with your TVs remote over HDMI CEC (which is absurd in this day and age). 

I want to see full HDMI CEC support on Roku boxes so we can choose to use the remote than came with our TV, especially for those of us seeing these issues with the Roku remotes, I'm tired of the Roku remotes issues, tired of having to worry about bumping the volume button on the Roku remote and have the volume runaway in the middle of the night waking everyone up in the house because the TV is now at 100% volume. I don't want to have to keep buying Roku remotes only to have the same issue with the new remote. 

11 REPLIES 11
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Remote Volume runaway. And Why doesn't Roku boxes support full HDMI CEC?

@madmax2069-

I think most of the ills you are suffering would be alleviated by restarting your Roku.

[Note: If you have a Roku TV with "Fast TV Start" enabled, turning it off/on just puts it in/out of a standby mode and does not give you a full restart.]

Depending on your Roku model you'll find the "System restart" option under "Settings > System > Power" or if you don't have a "Power" option, under "Settings > System".

If a restart doesn't do it, or if you don't have sufficient control with the remote to navigate the Roku menus, you can also restart by pulling the power plug to the Roku for a few seconds then plugging it back in and waiting for it to restart.

As to your request for full CEC, you can suggest this here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Suggest-a-Feature/bd-p/Wishlist

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
madmax2069
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Remote Volume runaway. And Why doesn't Roku boxes support full HDMI CEC?

Rebooting the Roku is just a bandaid, as it only "fixes" it for a while before the issue returns, I also bought a second Roku remote because I thought the first remote was faulty, both remotes exhibit the same issue. Rebooting the Roku is just a temp "fix", I've rebooted my Roku multiple times, I've even removed power for a while, I've changed the batteries in the remote as well as leaving the batteries out of the remote for a while none of it actually fixes the issue. I know how to troubleshoot issues, I know how to operate my devices. 

In my first paragraph I stated what TV I have which is a Sony x900h (an Android TV not a Roku TV), I also stated I have a Roku Ultra in the same first paragraph (which is also not a Roku TV).

I also stated what issue I'm having with the remote (the Roku remote gets stuck turning up or down the volume after turning up or down the volume), I don't have any issues controlling the IU like with some people with their remotes. 

Things like full HDMI CEC support shouldn't be a feature that I have to request to have added, it's apart of the HDMI spec and should have been fully active on day one. 

Ksillman05
Streaming Star

Im on my second remote on my ultra, with the same volume runaway issue. I finally gave up on number 2 in fear of doing DC damage to my sound bar. I replaced it with a rca universal. No voice or headphone jack but at least it functions reliably.

0 Kudos
madmax2069
Binge Watcher

I wish that was an option for me, but being that it's a Roku Ultra it doesn't operate using IR it uses RF, the IR portion of the remote is there only for to control the TVs volume. 

0 Kudos
Ksillman05
Streaming Star

The roku ultra remote uses wifi. The phillips and rca universal with streaming function uses RF. I have both functioning with my ultra. They both have roku support but the phillips seems to have a few more functions. But both work well. 

0 Kudos
Ksillman05
Streaming Star

Sorry the universals use IR you are correct my bad. But both seem to controll my ultra without issue. Although i prefer the phillips 4 device universal over the rca big button 3 device. Both are easy to program and so far so good.

0 Kudos
Ksillman05
Streaming Star

The problem i am having with the remote pro is the buttons that controll volume are junk, they wear out fast and fail. Causing a volume runaway issue. Im on remote 2. The first one lasted about 2 months. Support sent a replacement and that one lasted about 2 to 3 weeks before the volume buttons started to fail 

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@madmax2069-

Although most Roku models today are supplied with RF remotes, all Rokus except the Streaming Sticks have IR receptors on their fronts and respond to both RF and  IR commands.   The Streaming Sticks are normally used behind the TV where IR would not reach and so do not have IR receptors.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
madmax2069
Binge Watcher

What I'm getting at is that my Roku Ultra is in a place (out of view) to the point of an IR remote in not going to work (so it effectively doesn't have an IR receiver), RF or HDMI CEC is the only way due to it's location, and being that I'm not going to relocate my Roku ultra or buy another Roku remote getting Roku to enable full HDMI CEC support is the only option or I'm just going to have to not use my Roku, or buy another one because I'm not going to be trusting another Roku remote.