Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lohphat
Streaming Star

Roku OS 12.x and new CEC vs IR remote control option

Well did anyone at Roku think the problem through?

Once the CEC command turns off the TV AND the Roku, there's no device with power to process the Power ON command!

So once you power off, you have to use the TV remote to Power ON.

Dear Roku:

Even if the CEC mode is there you still need to burst out the Tv model-specific POWER ON command via IR!!!

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuArvyS
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku OS 12.x and new CEC vs IR remote control option

Hi @lohphat

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having hard time with your Roku remote. No worries, let's work on this.
Please be aware that your Roku device does not power off, but simply enters a Standby Mode. Even if your TV is off, you will still be able to turn on the TV with the Roku device remote as long as the Roku device remote has been paired to your TV.

Here are the steps:

1. Press the Home button your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll up or down and select Settings, followed by System.
  3. Access the LED setting using the appropriate step below:
    • On a Roku TV select Power, and then Standby LED.
    • On a Roku Streambar select Advanced System Settings, and then LED.
    • Select Off/On.

For more information about how to pair your Roku device remote to your TV, you can visit our Support article: How to set up your Roku voice remote to control your TV

Regards,
Arvy

Marc
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
lohphat
Streaming Star

I have a Streaming Stick 4K+ and these options don't exist.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

@lohphat

That has nothing to do with Roku, it's your tv brand that at fault. Some awaken from standby via cec, others don't. It is not up to Roku to fix faults of all tv brands. Switch back to IR for tv commands. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
lohphat
Streaming Star

This isn't a "fault" with the TV, it's just common sense.

When a streaming stick is plugged in to a TV and the power is turned off, the streaming stick is not receiving any power so it CAN'T respond to the remote control.  Even if you used wall power, the TV itself is off.  This isn't rare -- this is the default case.

The easy solution is to add a SIMPLE fix by adding an option "Always send IR Power ON commands to TV".

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

@lohphat 

On Roku Streambars and Soundbars which when first released there was no tv programming at all, everything was cec. But later an update allowed you to program only the TV power by IR, the remotes included tv IR on-board anyways since it was the same remote included with other Roku models. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
andrewt1

I was not able to sink my remove using IR but was successful with CEC. Then after turning off TV and back on I learned that the sound comes on for 1-2 sec and then silence. Any ideas out there?

0 Kudos