Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Reprogram shortcut buttons

Where did you get the remote and how did you program it for Roku, if I may ask?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @jacobisreal,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

Could you tell us more about the issue you're running into? We'd like to know more about how we can help. In addition, can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue so we can investigate further?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MLRSFDC

If no one else will answer you, I will take a stab at it, from my own perspective. I have and will only ever use my Roku TV for 2 reasons. I watch Youtube and I access my Plex Media Server. I have done the best I can to limit the other options in all of the menu so that accidental button presses will not disrupt what I am watching. It is not only the inconvience of accidentally pressing the HULU button on the remote, because I have deleted the HULU app, so an accidental button press not only closes out the app that I am using such as a Movie on my Plex Media Server, but then it starts reinstalling the HULU app while I am fishing around trying to find where the remote is in the dark. This destroys the immersion of the movie that I  was watching. Now I spend the next 5 mins having to re uninstall the HULU app, reopen my Plex Server and start buffering the movie again. In all, as an example I ran this scenario and timed it. It took a total of 8 mins and 12 seconds for me to get the movie back up. Because of my limited attention span which is honestly my own problem, most of the time the immersion is so broken that I just turn the Roku off and go watch media on my computer. Don't get me started on if I pause my media for long enough to use the restroom or grab a snack and come back and just hit the play button. That does all of the same things as above but, sends me into whatever movie you are advertising and installing whatever player of the week that you guys are pimping out. How nice it would be to just have the luxury of being able to pause and un pause what I am watching without being subjected to predatory advertising. I like the idea of one of the earlier posters, I will most likely buy an aftermarket remote and program buttons for my own needs. But to be very honest, there is only a small percentage of us that have the want and or resourcefulness to try and have the media experience that we can control, the fact that Roku went out of their way to block users from being able to customize their experience in a way that would in NO way impact Roku, as we have already paid full price for your product, is telling of the rumors of how Roku uses predatory software and hardware for after POS predatory advertising. The fact that Roku resets all preferences back to all advertisments on after every update requiring us to have to again and again go through the menus to try and get some small part of usability back is part of this. In short the remote issues seem to be directly linked to Rokus in tent to make money off of consumers after the POS after they have already paid for the device. These practices are already being listed as illegal in the EU and eventually will be found to be predatory and illegal as other countries follow the EU example.

0 Kudos
MLRSFDC

Wouldn't it be refreshing if Roku were to limit their predatory advertising practices for the consumer rather than wait until they are forced to do so by various legal authorities and UE mandates. The number of channels on Youtube and Reddit alone that discuss these issues and attempts to work around them is a signal that I am by far not the only one who has this opinion. So here is the arguement that they will make. Well if you don't like our policies then don't buy our products. You are right, as these products that I have already purchased age out or break, I am not replacing them with Roku devices. I tell everyone that I know of these issues and encourage them not to buy Roku products. Every time I am inprocessing a new group of soldiers to my base, while giving the Blacklist brief on local companies that are off limits to Soldiers I also brief them on predatory companies such as Roku and tell them to not buy Roku devices as they are predatory. Don't worry that is only about 50-75 Soldiers and their families per week. However, myself and others are getting the word out. 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

You want to prevent accidental button presses on the Roku remote, buy aftermarket remote cover, one that hugs the buttons like so:

Amazon.com: (4-Pack) for 3600R TCL Roku TV Stick Remote Case Cover,TOLUOHU for TCL Roku Remote Contr...

If thats what your Roku looks like. With the cover the Roku buttons are even with cover, so you can slide your hand across without activating a button. And volume and mute buttons are lower than the cover, in a crater so you have to purposely in to the crater to activate the command. Love them. They just don't have covers yet for the new Voice Pro 2 remote that was just released. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos