Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThePibbster
Streaming Star

Re: Remote stops working - have to rotate batteries to get it working again.

@BKennedyB  @t17wilson and anyone who needs to get into a CHAT session with ROKU support. 

Make sure you are signed into your ROKU account first.

(1) https://support.roku.com/contactus ... (I clicked on Remote Controls)

(2) Next it will take to you to your streaming devices and select one

(3) Now you are directed to "Let's get in touch" and click on CHAT with us dialog box.

0 Kudos
t17wilson
Reel Rookie

Thanks Pibbster! I finally found the chat and have been chatting with Pallivi. He asked if my remote was over a year old and I told it was probably was (not sure when we purchased it from Roku). He then said I should purchase a new remote. Or I could download the phone app. I told that I could also switch to a more reliable streaming service! He did not seem to mind that answer.

ThePibbster
Streaming Star

@t17wilson your issue seems to be different than the original poster of this thread @Scooter2 and mine as well as other users.  We all purchased the streaming stick 4K system and the remotes worked for a period of time and then stopped responding to the remote commands for no apparent reason.  The user said that he could rotate the batteries and then the remote would work for a period of time and then stop working again. 

Like I said, you issue seems different from ours in this thread ... but ROKU seems to have some serious reliability issues going on with the remotes.   

@t17wilson said ... I too am having issues with my voice remote model RC-GZ1 eating batteries. As the batteries begin to die I can remove the cover and rotate the batteries and perform a function but a few minutes later I have to do it again. Replacing with fresh batteries corrects the problem but every couple weeks is a little ridiculous! I have also gone through the troubleshooting but that didn't help. I'm not sure when we bought this voice remote, maybe a year or so ago? The serial number is 3226001306.

0 Kudos
t17wilson
Reel Rookie

Sorry, I didn't mean to highjack the thread. I was a little confused since I don't have a streaming stick. But as a follow-up to my last post, a couple minutes after my chat with customer service I received an email saying my issue had been forwarded up the chain. Then a few minutes later I received another email apologizing and saying that if I replied with my physical address they would send me a new courtesy remote even though mine is out of the one year warranty period. Just wanted to pass this along.

0 Kudos
ThePibbster
Streaming Star

Re: Remote stops working for Streaming Stick 4k - have to rotate batteries to get it working again.

@t17wilson no worries ... awesome you got some help.

0 Kudos
ThePibbster
Streaming Star

Re: Remote stops working for Streaming Stick 4k - have to rotate batteries to get it working again.

Just wanted to update.  I got the same new remotes as what @Scooter2 received.  Just follow the directions on how to "pair" them and one should not have any issues.  Paired rather quickly and had to got into settings to setup TV control which was easy too.

Pics of new remotes ...
20240131_153936.jpg20240131_153913.jpg

Pic of OLD remotes that had the issues:

20240131_153856.jpg20240131_153839.jpg

0 Kudos
ThePibbster
Streaming Star

So far, everything is working just fine with new remotes!

0 Kudos
Azkatail

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue.  My remotes are less than two months old.  Every time I try to change a channel I have to remove battery cover and switch batteries.  Getting real annoying 

GritNGlitter
Reel Rookie

We replaced the original remote, the one with regular replaceable batteries, because it wouldn't work and it really was old. The new, chargeable replacement remote lasted maybe a year. We resorted to using the remote app on our phones (which sucked). We finally decided to upgrade our Roku to the Ultra, but that one won't work with Netflix. I'm thinking we might be done with Roku 

0 Kudos
ThePibbster
Streaming Star

Just updating, the replacement remotes I recv'd from ROKU support are still working for me. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.