Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TorianEC
Streaming Star

Re: Remote stopped working—only works a couple seconds at a time,

The remote that come with the Roku Ultra 2022 has no batteries because it is charged by USB port which is connected to the Roku unit.

It also has an optional switch to allow you to use voice commands to operate the remote.

Hope that answers your question!

0 Kudos
TorianEC
Streaming Star

The remote that come with the Roku Ultra 2022 has no batteries because it is charged by USB port which is connected to the Roku unit.

It also has an optional switch to allow you to use voice commands to operate the remote.

Hope that answers your question!

0 Kudos
CatoEldest
Reel Rookie

Had this same issue when I changed routers, from an old Frontier 50mbs account to a Frontier 500mbs account using my own D-Link router.  I reset the 5ghz to channel 149 from auto, and the 2.4 ghz channel to 6 from auto, factory reset both 4k 3820X sticks (a pain in the **bleep** as you have to sign in to every app all over again) and all the router-stick issues went away.  The remotes, not so much.  The only way I've found to get the remotes to pair, and they only occasionally fail to do that on start up, is to power off the stick, take the batteries out of the remote, power up the stick, THEN put the batteries back in the remote.  They most ofter pair again, tho once in awhile I have to use the pairing button under the batteries to get that to happen.  I'm reading that the stick is running on 5ghz (as both of mine are) but that the remote runs at 2.4ghz ONLY.  It may this that is causing the lack of pairing everyone is experiencing. 

0 Kudos
CatoEldest
Reel Rookie

If the process I wrote about above only works sometimes, or not at all, here's the only other solution I've found.  Set up the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands in the router with different names and codes.  The basic problem is that the stick will link to and prefers 5ghz, but the remote prefers or can only operate on 2.4ghz.  The 'handshake' between the stick and router at 5ghz disrupts the handshake between the stick and the remote.  I put both my sticks on a 2.4ghz band and the remotes worked first time and every time.  The remotes had refused all my attempts to use the 5ghz band on the Roku system.  I use the 5ghz for laptops, phones, and all other devices, and only the 2.4ghz band on the Roku devices.  Found a post by atc98092 dated 4/6/2021 on this community Roku line ... I can't paste his/her message as hyperlinks are a no-no, but that's at least how long this issue has gone unresolved by Roku engineers ... adds to use of specific channels for each band.  I use 6 for 2.4ghz and 149 for 5ghz and both are working reliably.

srkca
Reel Rookie

Hey all! Just adding that this is also happening with non-Roku remotes. My Telus Slimline 2 remote has been working with my TCL Roku TV for years but suddenly stopped working and only works a couple seconds at a time after software update 12.5. Help please.

Here’s the requested issue info:

Issue report tracker
Model: 7133X - Roku TV
Serial number: YN00H5719570 (J6996H719570)
Software version: 12.5.0 • build 4176-30
GC version: 10.2.518
Timestamp: 2023-11-07T00:16:54Z
Please use issue ID 70-446-416 to report the current issue.
TorianEC
Streaming Star

CatoEldest.... smiles and thank you for your post.

However I've had the Roku Ultra 2022 since last July. It was working fine until last month. 

Just adding as information. the only solutions for me are re-pairing the remote or hitting the small button on the back of the remote which does the same thing.

Unfortunately, today my TV was off and apparently un-paired itself as I was turning the TV off prior to that. I had to go fish out the TV remote just to turn the TV on before I could re-pair it.

Thanks; I am aware of the 5 gHz and 2.5 gHz usage for some peripherals, but did not know that this applied to the Roku remote. I do not know why this started occurring with the most recent upgrade of the software. I would think this was a hardware issue.

My Roku Remote is a USB Voice Remote Pro that came with my Roku Ultra 2022. (No batteries needed). Remote model # is RC795. Firmware version rtn.4244; Voice Capture FW is en_us, 0024

Thanks again!!

0 Kudos
Spartan_Warrior
Streaming Star

These remote issue have been going on for years now. It's quite obvious Roku isn't interested in fixing the problem, so please stop pulling our chains.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @community users,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

We're sorry for the inconvenience. Our appropriate Roku team is currently looking into this issue that you're having with the Roku remote. Once the information is available, we will make sure to update this community thread.

In the meantime, your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Kind regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mother1
Reel Rookie

Yes,Ruko remote don't last and customer service just as bad. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Mother1

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community.

We'd like to assist you with your concern. Could you please tell us more about the issue you've encountered with your Roku remote? Also, what behaviors does it show?

Please keep us posted so we can support you further.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos