Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Re: Remote stopped working after last update

I experienced the same issue when trying to navigate on the Home Screen after the update to OS 13 Build 24057. I press the down button once but it jumps down two spaces instead. Then it will stop doing it, then suddenly do it again.

Thanks for another glitchy update Roku! How about you spend time testing these updates properly before forcing releases on us!

Also thanks for never allowing us to downgrade back to the previous OS or build when new ones cause problems. You guys are doing a real bang up job over there at the Roku engineering department!

Let's see how long this takes to fix.

0 Kudos
keithx13
Streaming Star

The 2 remaining Roku streaming sticks that I have exhibited the same behavior that slp101 described.  I seem to have gotten them to recover by repeatedly rebooting them and checking for OS updates.  Of course, there weren’t any, but after several attempts the devices started to respond to the remotes.  Keeping my fingers crossed…

0 Kudos
jamesutz
Streaming Star

I have two Roku Ultras of different vintages.  They are connected to identical Sony TVs.  I am using Roku Voice Remotes with TV Controls.  After the Roku update to Software Version 13.0.0 on the morning of 5/25, both remotes have lost the ability to control the TV Power and Volume.  These remotes were both using the CEC Setup Method for TV Control.

0 Kudos
slp101
Reel Rookie

I'm also using the remote that you described, but not via CEC. Also Sony TV's but with no CEC option. I did notice some intermittent, erratic behavior when controlling the volume. Power and mute seem to be normal. I'd suggest that you switch to IR (vs. CEC) with your TV (at least for now).

0 Kudos
slp101
Reel Rookie

I attempted numerous reboots and update checks, to no avail. It wouldn't surprise me if the problem rears it's ugly head again in your situation. I've experienced times when the remote was acting normally, but that was only short term. I even took it a step further and  reset one of my boxes. A complete waste of extra time, as it accomplished nothing! Hopefully, it's another "oops" and they'll resolve this nonsense quickly! I'm referring to it as another "oops", since for whatever reasons, whenever they push out these updates, they're always followed up with new "builds" (which I refer to as course corrections). It's clear that they're not doing their due diligence and we're all beta testers for their (questionable) updates! I hadn't noticed any issues with the previous "build" and I'd be curious as to what exactly they're attempting to accomplish with these various updates (other than breaking things in the process)?

0 Kudos
jamesutz
Streaming Star

I switched to using IR for the TV Remote control setup, per the suggestion, and got it working again.  Looks like something in the v13.0.0 update has broken the unit's CEC method of TV control.

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users!

Thanks for sharing additional information regarding the issue.

To investigate your devices further, can you please provide us with your current software version and a Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID)? If possible, you may use your other available Roku remote.

Please keep us updated.

All the best,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.