Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ny101090
Reel Rookie

Remote stopped pairing/Roku wants to do initial set up

I have a Roku stick model 3810x. I am using the remote that came with it, model RC-EL1. The roku had been working fine for a few months. Today my toddler unplugged it ( has happened occasionally before). Now when I plug in and power on the roku it wants to do the initial set up again. (In the past it just went straight to the home menu once plugged back in). On the "Let's get started" page, it asks to pair the remote. The remote's pairing light will blink but will not pair. 

I have tried unplugging/power cycling the roku stick; removing the batteries from the remote and reinserting at roku bounce screen; remove and reinserting batteries at pair remote screen; moving roku to another TV; restarting my router; turning off all internet devices except my roku and doing all these steps; unplugging my Roku TV so as to not have it interfere with the process.

Nothing seems to work. The remote constantly blinks to show its pairing but never pairs. Since the Roku wants to do the initial set up again I can't access it from the roku app to use my phone as the remote. 

My remote, oddly, WILL connect to my TCL Roku TV. So the remote is able to pair. Just not with the streaming stick it came with.  

I am all out of ideas as to why suddenly today my remote stopped working when the device was removed from the power. 

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote stopped pairing/Roku wants to do initial set up

It's been a long time since I've had a problem pairing a remote, but the last time I did it was because of the batteries.  Batteries that worked perfectly fine once the remote was paired were insufficient to get through the pairing process.  Try good, new, fresh batteries and hold the remote close to the stick.  Press and hold the pairing button until the light on the remote starts to flash and then connect the power to the stick.  You may want to unplug the power from your Roku TV and any other Roku device you have to ensure it doesn't interfere.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Ny101090
Reel Rookie

I've tried with 2 sets of batteries with no luck. I've also had the remote gently wedged between the roku stick and TV, so it couldn't really get much closer lol. I did also try with my TV unplugged, cause I was thinking the same thing that it might interfere. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Ny101090

Thanks for the follow up.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide the serial number/device ID on your Roku? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
_annapatata
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@Ny101090

Thanks for the follow up.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide the serial number/device ID on your Roku? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny, I'm having the same issue.  Please assist. SN S02A213EGP4W

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @_annapatata,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the remote issue you are experiencing?

As a first step, we recommend starting here to troubleshoot remote issues: How to fix your Roku® voice or simple remote that is not working | Official Roku Support 

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
_annapatata
Channel Surfer

Hello Mary, 

My Roku Ultra 4k 2020 remote suddenly stopped working out of the blue - pressing the buttons didn't do anything. I already did some basic troubleshooting steps including hard reset on the Roku unit itself, and now I'm stuck with the remote pairing screen.

The instructions states that I need to press the mini button on the lower part of the remote but it doesn't blink green. I need to remove the batteries,  spam press any buttons on the remote, then reinsert and click the button. It blinks a few times only but it doesn't pair. 

I also tried a different set of batteries from another remote but the light indicator doesn't flash so well (light is dimmer). 

I think your remotes are faulty. I have joined a couple of discussion forums on Facebook and they're experiencing the same as well, stating that they needed to buy a new set of Roku unit because buying the remote only or replacing the batteries doesn't fix the issue. 

Looking forward to your response.

0 Kudos
Skooter
Reel Rookie

PLEASE HELP SAME ISSUE!!!!

0 Kudos
_annapatata
Channel Surfer

There's really something wrong with their remotes....

rayahbabe2

Same issue. Two Roku sticks...Same day. Won't respond to remotes. Changed batteries, borrowed friend's remotes, even ordered to voice remote pro hoping to fix it all and that's a busy too!! I'm so irritated! Was there an update that killed them?

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.