Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DRKelley
Reel Rookie

Re: Remote skips or jumps over multiple channels

Jump to solution

We will try this. Thank you

0 Kudos
Streamer308
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I understand why everyone has their shorts in a knot over this frustrating problem. My Roku was only 6 months old in June. Rather than wait for lack of support, I ordered an Amazon Firestick with voice control on 06/25. They were running a sale….I paid $17 bucks with free ship(if prime member). Works great! Life too short to worry when a replacement is so cheap. Prime day starts tomorrow & they will be having great prices on all their Firestick models.

0 Kudos
SugarAvenue
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have a fire stick and have many problems with it. Prefer ROKU. In the meantime, I have use that remote on my other Roku smart TV and it works just fine on there and the remote from the TV which works great on the second TV does the same thing on the first one so it’s not the remote. It’s the TV and it only does it on certain apps.

And on top of that now after I’ve been watching for a couple hours, it kicked me out of the app repeatedly, and that happens with any app. 

0 Kudos
SugarAvenue
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Would definitely appear that way. Apparently Roku who says they monitor these community boards doesn’t care that their users are getting frustrated and angry.  

0 Kudos
SugarAvenue
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

We should not have to use the remote app on our phones. Although sometimes I can get to where I’m going on Roku.

0 Kudos
VA1DER
Binge Watcher

Issue Summary - what's wrong and possible fixes

Jump to solution

Here is a summary of the issue, for those who don't want to peruse 15 pages of posts:

Rokus have been acting as if remote buttons are bouncing or fluttering - one press often leads to that button registering 3-20 times on the Roku.

The community consensus so far is that it is related to a recent update.

Some things that temporarily fix the problem for some people:

1. As simple as restarting the Roku has helped for some (Settings -> System -> Power -> System Restart -> Restart or simple unplugging power from the device)
  2. A "magic" button press sequence will cause the remote to reset and the Roku to restart:
    Press home five times, up arrow, RW twice, FF twice.
    The Roku will freeze for a minute then reboot itself.
  3. Re-pairing the Roku remote with the Roku
  4. Using an HDMI extension cable to move the Roku so it's not behind the TV and has better line of sight to the remote.

Some people have reported good success with as little as #1 above.  Others report that they have tried all options above and that fixes are temporary.  This has been the case with me, though I personally found that #4 above reduced the severity and frequency of the problem.

Roku's support has asked for input from those who are having problems.  If the above fixes do not correct the problem permanently for you, then please read this post for the information they want and consider making a proper report about the issue.  An example is here.

0 Kudos
Stirboo

Jump to solution

TCL model 43S425

Serial number X000002ESMS5

Device ID S038T04ESMS5

Software version 12.0.0 build 4182-93

Home 5x and Back 5x does nothing

Occurs within Netflix, MLB, Freevee apps, also occurs in Freevee search

Triathlete
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Simple solution worked for me. 
unplug the Roku and wait 30 seconds. Plug back in and it worked fine. Needs a reboot every now and then. 

KGBThatsMe

Jump to solution

We've been having the same problem for the last several days on our TCL 55" Roku TV.  We unplugged it and let it reboot, as others suggested, and now it's working fine.

Only using the Roku app on our phones would work before.  Any use of ANY Roku remote was having the issue until we rebooted the system.

Gin68

Jump to solution

I’m also having this issue with both my Roku remotes. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.