Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drmillerlp
Channel Surfer

Re: Remote skips or jumps over multiple channels

Jump to solution

I changed to a different HDMI on my TV and it seems to have solved it for now. It makes no sense, but hopefully that helps, if you have another HDMI port. Good luck!

Zapt
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
Still waiting to hear from Roku Support. Since I didn’t get response here in the forum, I also replied to their previous email with the model/serial # info.

Today—in order to rule out a bad HDMI port—I installed a new Amazon Fire Stick in the same port. It’s working flawlessly. I’m out of things to test.

Logically, I can also rule out the Plex app for Roku as being the culprit because there are undoubtedly thousands of Plex users successfully streaming through a Roku device. If the app was the problem, this forum would be flooded with complaints from them.

Thus, as far as I’m concerned, I have a defective Roku and/or remote that need to be replaced.
blueskies777
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The new replacement remote has skipped a few times but at most three or four jumps. Then it works correctly. 

Ironically,  the original remote NEVER had this issue with the stick in the same hdmi port. Unfortunately,  we took the stick and remote on vacation and left the remote behind.

The replacement worked for a long time. 

I'm wondering if the issue are the buttons in the remote sticking.

0 Kudos
Kew852000

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue. I have a voice control remote with the Roku stick. Reset the Roku, re-paired the remote, made sure the software was up to date. It still keeps skipping. 

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Kew852000,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear about the experience you had with the Roku voice remote skipping. We definitely want to help you with this, and we'll need details for us to further look into the issue. Kindly provide the following details:

• What channel/s are you streaming when this issue occurs?
  • How are you powering your device, is it through a power outlet, or directly to the TV USB port?
  • Steps to reproduce the issue?

Once we have this information, we'll be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Zapt
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you, but it’s now being handled directly by Roku Support,

Streamer308
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hey….I FINALLY solved this irritating problem on my 6 month old Roku 4k+….just bought an Amazon Firestick & everything running smoothly.

ebayazitov

Jump to solution

I totally agree.  My Roku Ultra (device SKU # 4802R) was working flawlessly with its remote control for several months and then suddenly a few weeks ago started to skip over.  It can happen on any button (navigation, sound, etc.) but only once every few clicks and usually after the remote was not in use for a while.  I'd be watching one video and would try to select something else, it works for a few clicks normally and then suddenly sends multiple clicks which result in skipping/jumping...  Sometimes it happens with volume so it sends multiple volume changes really fast.  I think it's not a remote control problem, at least not a hardware issue - it's clearly a software issue which was introduced very recently.  But I'm not sure which firmware is affected, the remote's or the player's.  At first it looked like an app (YouTube) issue but then I also saw it doing on Amazon Video app as well.   It looks like a bug in a debouncing routine upon scanning button state.     

VA1DER
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Brand new Roku Streaming Stick 4k 3820, same issue.  Intermittent skipping on every key.  The keys are not physically sticking.  It seems to be worse in some apps.  BritBox, for example, is terrible.   Tried re-pairing, problem persists.

When it's at its worst, I can't rewind or fast forward a show because it automatically jumps to the fastest setting.  Pressing pause/play causes it to alternate 5 or 10 times.

I've noticed when the remote is acting up the worst, that will will often temporarily work is holding down each button for a couple seconds each press.  This doesn't work in some apps since a long press of different buttons in some apps has a different function than a short press.

I'd really like a permanent solution though.

RokuAnjelie
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @VA1DER,

Welcome to the Roku Community.

We're sorry about your experience with the Roku voice remote skipping. We want to help you with this and need further details to investigate the issue. Kindly provide the following information.

• How are you powering your device? Is it through a power outlet or directly to the TV USB port?
  • What are the steps to reproduce the issue?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the problem?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further. 

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks, 

Anjelie

Anjelie A.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos